Thursday, March 5, 2015

My Favorite Fabric Challenge for Project Quilting

Project Name:  Gum Wrapper Chain Sweatshirt

Yes I love BLUE fabric!





I started by rotary cutting the fabric into 1 1/4 inch strips.


I stitched my 1 1/4 inch strips together and then cut them at 1 1/4 inch across. See the photo.


I stitched way too many of them!


I stitched the next strip --- 2 inches long by 1 1/4 inch wide.


I stitched way too many of them - again!


I stitched the little blocks together.  See the photos.




Next I stitched a solid square ( 2 inch square) on the sides like the photo.


I added more 2 inch squares to the sides and made a little quilt first and then another one.  See the next couple photos.


I staggered them 2 off in the first one and 1 off in the second quilt.  Still get the same look that I wanted. I want it to look like a gum wrapper chain!






It's ready to quilt!


I added double batting under the Gum Wrapper Strips. (80/20 Batting)











I stitched Marcia 2015 PQS6Ch5 to each little quilt.


They are not done yet!




I stitched the larger one onto the back of a sweatshirt and the little one to the front.










A couple years ago I made a Gum Wrapper Chain Quilt.  Click here for that post.




If you want to know how I made the ruffled sweatshirt you can download the PDF Pattern on Craftsy.com in my Pattern Store.
Visit Marcia Wachuta - Crafty Sewing and Quilting's Craftsy Pattern Store »



I am linking up this post at Persimon Dreams for the Project Quilting Challenge.  



Thanks for following along!

Marcia

5 comments:

Sue said...

You have the coolest plates! Where ever do you find them? I love them!

Unknown said...

I like you plates too!! But thanks for sharng this great idea.

Andrea @ Mouse in My Pocket said...

Your sweater is really fun. I love that you added your mini quilts to it.

Janie Bettis said...

You clever girl! Did you used to make gum wrapper chains? My big sister taught me how. You have taken them to a whole new level!
Janie

Sharon said...

Very cute Marcia! Just curious - why did you put 2 layers of batting under the "gum wrappers"?