Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Hodgepodge Patchwork Tuesday - Velvet Crazee Patch Button Pillows

Hodgepodge Patchwork Tuesday Posts started as place for me to add personal projects from the past and tutorials and odds and ends.  It will continue to be that, but I have now added a second blog that will eventually have all my quilting and sewing projects on display there. As I search for old photos, I will share them here too.

In 2003 and 2004 I taught sewing classes in my quilting studio.  One of the classes was Velvet Crazee Patch Pillow tops. These are the three I made for my Mom.  First I made the three pillow tops. Then she sewed all the vintage buttons onto the pillow tops.  Most of the buttons were from my grandma's sewing tin.  She also added some new buttons. Then I sewed them together and made them into pillows.  She has them displayed on her sofa.
Sometimes I would back the pillows with a solid piece of velvet.  Sometimes I would just embroidery stitch on the velvet to make it look pieced and other times I would do a whole crazee patch pillow top on both sides of the pillow.















Mom and I decided making the crazee patches into pillows was a great way to display my grandma's old buttons.



I love ideas on displaying buttons, trinkets and jewelry.  I made a wall hanging for displaying treasures also.
 How do you display your treasures?



Marcia






Linked with: 
Tuesday's Treasures Linky Party
WOW Us Wednsdays Linky Party
Get your Craft On Tuesday at Today's Creative Blog Sept. 27, 2011
The Thrifty Groove - Thirfty Things Linky Party Sept. 29, 2011
Coastal Charm's Nifty Thrifty Tuesday Linky Party Sept. 27, 2011
Faith, Grace, and Crafts: Pearls and Lace Thursday - Oct. 27, 2011 

13 comments:

Chris Daly said...

I had forgotten your pillows. These are fantastic!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, love the pillows with all the lovely buttons - have a button love affair myself. Just fascinated with the train button. Excellent way to showcase them and thank you for re-sharing your pillows.

JuicyFig said...

these are so gorgeous! I bought a huge bag of velvet remnants years ago but so sick of all the little bits that came off it I gave it away!

Kath
x

Linda said...

What a lovely collection of pillows and buttons. I love the train button and the yellow/gold flowery one.

Miss Hillbilly said...

I really am not a keeper of treasures. Sometimes I wonder why I am not like other women in this area. All I can figure is that I didn't have anything from the past so I didn't keep anything of mine.

I also have never done any crazy quilting. Your pillows are neat and even better that they are keepsakes.

Barb H said...

Love, love, love all those buttons! What a great way to display them. Your gramma would be proud.

Jilly said...

What a beautiful collection of pillows and buttons. Those train button and the yellow/gold flowery one is my favorite. What a great way to display them.
r4 card

Heather said...

I love buttons! And what a beautiful way to display them! :)

MJ said...

Loving the embroidery stitch on top of the patchwork, great idea! Great colour combos too, very inspiring.

Diann said...

These pillows are so awesome. Love all the fun buttons! Thank you for joining TTF. Sorry so late in visiting!

Doni said...

Oh what a great idea! Those special buttons deserve a special place to enjoy them, and those pillows are perfect! Such unique and beautiful shapes and designs! I can't pick a favorite because I like too many of them!
Thanks so much for joining me for Pearls and Lace Thursday! Such a lovely post!
Blessings, Doni

Unknown said...

I love all the decorative stitches...so cute!

Cheryl ~ ZanyMayd said...

How Sweet, maybe not so cuddly with the buttons, but Adorable...