Wednesday, September 30, 2015

"Going Their Own Way"

Yes, my geese are not flying in any order.  They are flying their own way.  That's why I named it "Going Their Own Way".


I made the flying geese quilt blocks uneven, using the pattern from Kim of the Drunken Flying Geese from the Home Sweet Home Quilt Along.

I created this somewhat similar to each 20" x 20" quilt that I have created for the Series Focus Through the Prism. What I mean by similar,is that my plan was to always use black with the color and to create a distorted version of the quilt block or at least an uneven balance to the quilt block.


I selected the yellow hand dyed fabric from Cherrywood Fabrics for this quilt challenge and then added the yellow print and then the black fabric to really make the yellows pop!





I used some of the cutaways from the corners to create a couple tiny geese. I assembled them in uneven rows.


I selected Gun Metal Grey and Canary Yellow for the quilting threads.  I used two layers of batting.  I layered them with 80/20 batting on the bottom and poly on the top.


I decided to quilt it with a small meandering for the background. It filled the space very nicely.


I quilted in Marcia and 2015.


I love the wiggle line quilting on the geese.


And the wiggle lines around the outside of the each goose.


Here's a full view.


And the backside.






On September 15th, I presented my quilts at a Trunk Show in Viroqua, Wisconsin.  I proudly shared my quilt even though I had not completed the binding.


I proudly shared all five of them!  I love how they look together.


I am linking it up over at Kim's Persimon Dreams Blog for Project Quilting's Focus Through the Prism Quilt Challenge Series. Hop over and check out all the quilts.

If you have not seen all of the posts about my Project Quilting Quilts. The links are in my sidebar. If you are viewing this on a phone, you can go to the bottom and view it as a Web version and get to all the links in the sidebar.

Thanks for following along!

Marcia

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is such a joy to look at this quilt with flying geese!! I love it. Thanks for sharing how you sew this beauty!!
I love the other four quilts too. Great job, congrats with this finishes.