Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Hodgepodge Patchwork Tuesday - Hot Pads or Potholders - Quilt as You Sew

Bonus: This is now available in a PDF Downloadable Tutorial for only $4.00  Click Here


My cousin Randy asked me if I ever make hot pads or oven potholders?  He said he doesn't like the glove style oven mitts.  So I decided to make Randy a hot pad for this week's Hodgepodge Patchwork Tuesday.


So here is my quick version of how to do "quilt as you sew" 
to make a fast hot pad...

I used red thread and odd colored strips, so you can see how it goes together.
I cut a piece of heat resistant batting in a 9 inch square.
Then I cut the backing fabric in the green tye dye fabric about 12 inches square.  I wanted to make sure it was at least 1 1/2 inches larger on all four sides.  Place the backing fabric with the wrong side of the fabric up against the batting.


Then I just grabbed some strips from my strip drawer.  Some were 1 inch wide and some were 2 inches wide and some weren't even cut straight.


Follow along with the photo instructions....Place strips on batting with the pretty sides together and stitch.  Then press open and flat.  The add next strip and next strips until you have the batting covered.


Hot pad/pot holder





.
I stitched with a red thread, so you can see the stitching lines.  Check the back to make sure it is laying out flat. If not press the back side out flat.

Flip over and fold the backing fabric out of the way so you can trim the strips. Rotary cat all four sides off, but not the backing fabric.
Your hot pad should look like this after you trim the strips.




Flip is over so you can see the back stitching lines.
Snip all the loose threads!
Flip back to the front and with the rotary cutter trim
you have 1 1/4 inches on all four sides.
Press up one quarter inch all four sides.
Then bring the backing fabric up and over to the front.  Pin at each corner after pressing.
Pin sides to hold in place as you sew.  Pull out the pins as you sew - do not sew over the pins.
I use a Zig Zag stitch as I feel it holds best and is forgiving if you don't sew perfectly straight. You could use an embroidery stitch also.  See how I stitched the corners in the next photos.
Here it is Randy!  Hope you like it.  I am making another one to match it, so you have one for each hand.


You could use this method of quilting to make place mats and table runners.  It gets a little tricky keeping the back flat the larger you make something.


Share your ideas in the comments... love to hear from you!


Thanks for following along!


Marcia


Linked with 
Get Your Craft On --- Today's Creative Blog for September 14, 2011 
Gwenny Penny's Point of View Linky Party for September 23, 2011
Sew Many Ways : Sew Darn Crafty Week #36 - Oct. 16, 2011
Chef in Training - Tuesday Talent Show #8 - Oct. 18, 2011
Pieceful Life Little Quilts Monday - Oct. 24, 2011


* NOTE:  I am sharing a construction method for making a Hot Pad or Potholder.  This is not a pattern and I did not get the pattern from somewhere else.  I am just sharing how I do "quilt as you sew".  Have fun making this sewing project.  Any questions email me  at  Marcia@craftysewing.com.

10 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Thank you for a nice quick project. Nice idea to make some 'manly' potholders for the backyard BBQer.

Stephanie said...

How fun! I can't wait to try it!

Unknown said...

My husband has done some awesome potholders.. I felt like I was watching him making them reading your blog - I love it... Although our team would be Giants for me and STINKY Dolphins for Jorge - I hate Miami and I am NOT shy about that. Mega sport girl I am lol... Anyways sorry off my soap box lol - these are super great. I have to ask to you poke yourself as much as Jorge does?

Evielynne

Sarah said...

Thanks for the tutorial! I've actually been wanting to try making potholders with some fun new "kitchen" fabric I've added to my stash :)

Heather said...

Great project! I might have to make myself some too. :)

Miss Hillbilly said...

I've never done quilt as you go. I am going to have to extend May for Me somehow to fit all your projects in because I now have several that I want to try!

Jan said...

I've seen this done before and have been wanting to try it. Thanks for the great photos.

Lizzy_Green said...

Thank you so much for the Idea. I think I am going to try this out. I have always had issues with the edges. Now I can see just how to do it.

elizabeth said...

Great tutorial....I like the way you did the binding and used the zig zag stitch : ) Thanks for linking up to Little Quilt Monday! I will definitely have to give this a try.


http://piecefullife-elizabeth.blogspot.com/2011/10/little-quilt-mondayfall-wavy-tumbler.html

Belinda said...

I just saw this! Thanks for an awesome tutorial.