Saturday, December 31, 2011

Most Viewed and My Favorite Posts From 2011

A Blue Quilt for Christmas was the all time most viewed popular post for 2011.  I took a pair of blue plaid shorts and several denim shirts and "up cycled" them into a quilt.
I shared all the steps on making this quilt from shorts to finished quilt.  I also shared a tutorial at Sew We Quilt on Nov. 11th on how to construct this simple free form block that I named the Denim Block. Click here for the Scrappy Quilt Challenge that uses the Denim Block.  Join in the fun!

Imaginary Blooms was the second most viewed post this past year.  My friend designed the quilt pattern for the big panel flower blocks. I made my quilt using dyed fabrics and decided I was going to create my own flowers for the blocks.
I chose to offset the flowers on the quilt instead of placing them in each block.  I loved making the blooms!

  
The third most viewed post was my First Bloom Quilt that was inspired by my First Morning Glory Bloom of the summer!


Next, was the Table Topper Quilt and Hot Pads that I created using a beaded denim shirt.  I called it my Vacation Project, because we vacationed for a full week at our camper on the Mississippi River.  
We have been camping at the same campground for 20 years, this summer.  We enjoy our weekends at our camper, but this was so nice to take a whole week and relax.  I sew and my husband fishes. 
This is the denim beaded shirt I upcycled into the quilt.
I was so pleased with the finished quilted table topper and hot pads.
I used the table topper as part of my November Tablescape.
I had fun taking photos of my herbs and vegetables from my container garden. 

Last year, was the first year of May for Me Celebration - It was a month long celebration of learning how to take a few minutes for you.  You can be a happier person, if you play a few minutes a day!  This year, I am teaming up with Tonya from Hillbillly Handiworks, Sharon from Vrooman's Quilts, and Snoodles from Lily Pad Quilting.  It will be a month long celebration of fun!  More information about the 2nd annual May for Me Celebration in February 2012.
One of my favorite quilt projects from 2011 was my Tiny Treasures Quilt. I created this quilt for an Off Season Challenge for Project Quilting. I overall free style quilted my name in a wavy pattern through out the whole quilt. 
After I got a new camera for my birthday in November, I enjoyed taking macro shots of flowers too!  Thus, started the posts called:  A Quilter with a Green Thumb. Of course, photos of my blooms and flowers have inspired my quilting.
On Oct. 3rd, I posted photos of my gardening and thread painting projects and how it inspires me to thread paint with my quilting machine. Quilting the Colors and Textures of My Garden.
Almost every Monday, I post about Getting Up Close with My Quilting. These posts started in April from a request to see the stitching on customer's quilts up close. I share photos of my free style quilting designs.  I create the patterns while manually moving my quilting machine to stitch unique designs. No computers, no panto graphs, and no templates - all are free motion designs. You can click on the buttons in the sidebar of this blog to see several different free style designs. 

Most recently, I have started the Minutes for Me Linky Parties where everyone can share their craft. What makes you happy?  Take a few minutes for you - to play everyday and share it at the party!  I would like to invite you to share.
Another favorite quilt project was my Think Outside the Block Quilt.  If you have ever had a quilt that you started and then got it out to finish it and then the blocks didn't match up --- I have a solution. You can Think Outside the Block!
My Wordless Wednesday posts have featured my dog, Gabby and my Mom's dog, Toby with my quilts. I titled this post Toby Loves Gabby.
The photos with the dogs really started last January when I was taking photos of my quilts for Project Quilting and Gabby wanted to be in every photo.
Then she would check to see what was in the bag.
My post about my Floating Lilies included a few shots of the dogs. When I got out the camera, there they were poising for me!
This fall, they helped test the warmth of my Blue Denim Christmas Quilt with the washable wool batting. I am so lucky to have these two to help me out!
As this year ends and we start a new one... Especially if you are a quilter, may your days be filled with the warmth of quilts... knowing the comfort and love you bring to others through your quilting.
I have much to be thankful for, as we have had a year of health struggles with my Mom.  We are blessed to have her with us, as we end this year and celebrate a new beginning to a happier and healthier year in 2012.
Happy New Year!
Marcia
Note: I included all the links in Color under each photo so you can see that post.  Feel free to go back and click on each one to see more photos and read about that quilt. 
Linked with:
Confessions of a Fabric Addict: Time to Show Your Best - Dec. 30, 2011
Sew Many Ways: Sew Darn Crafty Party - Jan. 1, 2012
Marcia's Crafty Sewing & Quilting: Minutes for Me - Dec. 28, 2011
Sew Happy Geek: Manic Monday Linky Party - Jan. 2, 2012

10 comments:

KatieQ said...

Thank you for sharing so many great moments with us this year. It was fun to revisit them.

Karen said...

I have enjoyed following your posts throughout the year and look forward to more in the new year.
Have a wonderful 2012.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What a wonderful post! Your quilts are beautiful and I am so glad I found your blog through the recent blog hop giveaway! I liked the photos of you camping on the Mississippi River which runs right in front of our house. The campground reminds of me the 2 we have close by. Hope you have a wonderful New Year!

Linda said...

marcia, love the recap of your most viewed posts. All of these bring a smile to my face as I remember them all! You have great talent and I am happy to have found your blog. You truly inspire me! Happy New Year!

sorbetsurprise said...

Fantastic quilts! I think the one with the 3D effect flowers is my favourite!

Miss Hillbilly said...

This was a fun and inspirational post. Here's to 2012!!

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

What a fun post! I love Imaginary Blooms...the quilting makes the flowers stand out so nicely!

Happy New Year!

Chris Daly said...

Wishing you a very Happy New Year Marcia!

Sarah Craig said...

Looks like you've had a fabulous and productive year! Whoop whoop!!

Donna said...

Beautiful, Beautiful work. Absolutely inspiring!!