Saturday, July 22, 2017

Daisies for Grandmama!


I created this 20" X 20" quilt for The van Gogh Cherrywood Challenge 2017.




Statement: This raw edge appliqued wall hanging uses an original Texture Quilt Pattern to create a pieced background inspired by van Gogh’s still lifes. Daisies for Grandmama features 32 blue daisies in a solid blue vase against a textured blue and black machine pieced background. It integrates raw edge applique pieces to create a painted impression, which mimics van Gogh’s painting style and adds texture through the use of thread painting. Uneven borders are a signature style of the quilter, Marcia Wachuta, which adds to the asymmetrical qualities of both van Gogh’s works and Marcia’s art quilts. The daisies were used to symbolize motherhood. A detailed process of the construction of this quilt can be found at http://tinyurl.com/daisies-for-grandmama. That is right here... just scroll down.



Techniques and Materials: I created with raw edge applique using the thread painting to create the paint texture similar to Vincent van Gogh's paint strokes with my longarm quilting machine.














I was inspired by the daisies in my yard. We have fields of daisies in bloom in June and July every year.



And I was inspired by a number of vases of flowers that Vincent van Gogh painted. I liked this one the best!



Here's how I created my quilt!






I used my Textures Quilt Pattern to create the background fabric for my quilt, but I cut the pieces smaller in scale, as I only needed a piece about 17" X 17".


Textures Quilt Pattern available on Craftsy.com in my store.


























  














I entered my quilt in the The van Gogh Cherrywood Challenge 2017

Enjoy your day!

Marcia

More information:

I used the Textures Quilt Pattern to create this quilt also.
Contemplation
And this quilt.
Born to Quilt



5 comments:

djquilting said...

I love this quilt. Thanks so much for sharing your process in detail.

Rosemary B❤️ said...

Stunning, Marcia. I love every bit of it.
I love Van Gogh (yes, partial to the dutch people here too)
and you really really created a masterpiece that I think Vincent would be proud to see

Sandy Panagos said...

That is just beautiful. I never thought of using felt before, great idea. Thanks for sharing the process, too.

Pieced Brain Quilt Designs said...

Fantastic quilt and construction photos! I grew up with daisies all around me and your post brought back some amazing memories!

Paige said...

Thank you for sharing your process! Beautiful!