Monday, January 9, 2012

Getting Up Close with My Quilting - Special Area Quilting

I quilted tiny bubbles in the hearts using a red thread and double wiggle lines and swirls on the cream areas using a lite tan thread.  

I made this quilt block years ago.  It may have been called Secret Hearts or something with hearts.  Sorry I don't know the name of the block. I only made the one block, so I added a thin border and quilted it to make a table topper for a friend. 


Remember, I am taking photos up close, so the stitches appear larger than they are.  I set my quilting machine on 11 stitches per inch.


I wanted the table topper to be reversible. I chose a red fall leaf print for the backing fabric. 



Embroidery stitched the binding using a red thread on the red binding.

 Made a Scrappy Fabric Card to go with the gift.

 There were lots of scraps left from the backing fabric.  I made two cards, while I had the red thread on my sewing machine.


On the cards, I set my sewing machine stitch length on 1.9 - a tiny stitch, but they look huge in this photo!
Making the quilted table topper and the scrappy cards was my Minutes for Me last week!  I love to try different free style quilting designs when I am quilting something that is mine or for a gift. I will link it up for Minutes for Me . I invite you to link your posts up too. I will link this post to several other Linky parties. I will list them below, as I link up.
Enjoy your day!
Marcia

Jan. 7, 2103 ---- Linked with: My Favorite Things: Blog for her FIRST Linky Party -- quilts with only 2 colors. 


Linked with:
Chef in Training: Tuesday Talent Show - Jan. 10, 2012
Crafty Sewing and Quilting: Minutes for Me - Jan. 11, 2012
Freshly Pieced: WIP Wednesday - Jan. 11, 2012
The Shady Porch: Rock 'N Share - Jan. 11, 2012
Faith, Grace, and Crafts: Pearls and Lace Thursday - Jan. 12, 2012
Somewhat Simple: Strut Your Stuff - Jan. 12, 2012
The Thrifty Groove: Thrifty Things Friday - Jan. 13, 2012
At Picket Fence: Inspiration Friday - Jan. 13, 2012
2805: Potpourri Friday #19 - Jan. 13, 2012
My Repurposeful Life: Catch as Catch Can - Jan. 13, 2012
Stuff and Nonsense: Fridays Unfolded - Jan. 13, 2012
Amylouwho: Sew &Tell - Jan. 13, 2012
Crazy Mom Quilts: Finish Up Friday - Jan. 13, 2012
Love Affair with My Brother: This Week - Jan. 14, 2012
Six Sisters' Stuff: Strut Your Stuff - Jan. 14, 2012
Homemaker in Heels: Weekend Craft Soiree - Jan. 13, 2012
Sew Many Ways: Sew Darn Crafty - Jan. 15, 2012

18 comments:

Snoodles said...

Marcia, those are beautiful...the table topper is wonderfully quilted, and the card is gorgeous, too!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

A lot of red fun. The star topper is a wonderful pattern.

Love Of Quilts said...

Your quilting is very nice!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Love all the beautiful stitching on your table topper, I am sure enjoying your blog!

Unknown said...

Pretty table topper, LOL I just did a wall hanging using almost the same quilting. Two minds thinking alike

Mrs.Pickles said...

your quilting is just beautiful!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

love that block...and your quilting is lovely

Sarah L. said...

wowza! This is incredible. Nice work :)

I'm happy to be your newest follower, and I'm hoping you'll stop by my BRAND NEW blog and follow me back!!

Thanks a million :)
Sarah @ Dotted Line Crafts

concretenprimroses said...

The quilting is very artistic, and I just love the cards!
Kathy

Miss Hillbilly said...

The card and the topper together is a great gift combo!

Belinda said...

Your friend is one lucky woman!! This is beautiful Marcia.

Anonymous said...

This is very pretty. I think the cards are my favorite!!

Eileen said...

Great machine quilting!

Heather said...

Your quilting looks just fantastic. That is a gorgeous topper! And I love the scrappy cards, too. What a great idea!

Carolyn J. said...

Beautiful quilting.....really makes your quilt "pop"!

Doni said...

I love that red! Your stitching is gorgeous!!
I am so glad you joined me for Pearls and Lace Thursday!
Doni

Chumkie said...

Beautiful quilt and the quilting is lovely! Thanks for linking in.

Unknown said...

As usual your quilting is Outstanding