Monday, February 20, 2012

Hodgepodge Patchwork Tuesday - Scrappy Quilt Challenge Winner

Heather at Needles and Pens was the winner of the FREE Quilting for her Scrappy Quilt!  Heather took the challenge and created a scrappy quilt.  She used the denim block pattern from my Scrappy Quilt Challenge
She blogged about it here on her blog. Heather mailed me her scrappy quilt top and backing fabric.  I asked her to choose what overall quilting, batting, and thread color she would like for her prize.  Heather chose overall swirls, 100% cotton batting, and a lite colored thread - my choice.
Here's how I choose the thread color. I have about 150 colors of quilting thread. First, I pull a few cones off the rack and lay them on the quilt.
Then I lay out the colors by family and unwind some of the thread and lay it across the quilt top. First the pinks.
Then the greens and blue greens.
Last, but not least a couple yellows.
I chose one of the pinks.  It looked best on all the fabrics.  Not too dark and not too light. It also looked best on the little fairies.
Then I start quilting.  I decided to add little butterflies with the swirls.


Heather asked if I would stitch her name and my name in the stitching ... 
Made by Heather
Quilted by Marcia
2012
I finished quilting and trimmed the edges.
Heather's quilt top measured 36" by 44".  It was a baby quilt size.  36 X 44 = 1584 square inches. 


Heather's FREE Quilting prize value:
1584 square inches X 3 cents a sq inch = $47.52, plus 
Quilting Thread $5.00, plus Cotton Batting $7.00.
Total $59.52












Hop over to Heather's Needles and Pens Blog and tell her congrats on winning the FREE Quilting Giveaway!
When Heather sent me her quilt top, she also sent me a gift.  She made a mug rug using the scraps from her scrappy quilt. I love it!  

 I took some pictures with my coffee mugs. It matches my favorite mugs. Thanks Heather, that was so cool!
I will do another Quilting Challenge Giveaway in May during the May for Me Celebration.
If you want to see all the Scrappy Quilt Entries click here.
Have a wonderful day!
Marcia
Linked with:
Pieceful Life: Little Quilts Monday - Feb. 20, 2012
Sew Chatty: Made with Love - Feb. 20, 2012
Sew Happy Geek: Manic Monday - Feb. 20, 2012

17 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, this was so neat to see Heather's quilt thru the whole process. I just love those little bugs and fairies mixed with the butterflies - this is such a sweet quilt. And love the chose of stitching in her name and yours - what a special quilt for her. So, sweet of her to add a giftie for you.

elizabeth said...

What a wonderful post...loved all the pictures of before and after and in between : )...lovely quilt and lovely quilting!

Lida said...

Wow what a lovely job you made of it, love thetwirling with the butterflies! Sch is a lucky lady with this price! Greetings
Lida

Belinda said...

That quilt, and your quilting are just unbelievable! it's gorgeous. Congratulations to Heather and to you for a job well done!

Barb N said...

How fun to see the process - great quilt, and great quilting!

Pauline G said...

What a lovely quilt - and your quilting is so beautiful -she is really lucky to win!

Barbara said...

Beautiful quilting for a beautiful quilt.

Heather said...

It looks so amazing, Marcia! I haven't been feeling too well this week, so I haven't had a chance to blog about it yet. But it is so sweet and cheery to look at, and I absolutely love it!! I hope to get the binding done this week, if I can get myself in gear. Doctor appointment today, and hopefully I'll come away with some antibiotics to get me over this crud.

Thanks again! I think you did an awesome job and I couldn't be happier!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Heather's quilt has such beautiful colors and your quilting is so wonderful! I always enjoy photos of your stitching!

Miss Hillbilly said...

Wow, I love how you quilted this!! It is so sweet!

And so nice of her to include a little gift to you.

Peg said...

This is what you get when two talented ladies merge, a beautiful quilt to hand down in the family. It's gorgeous, I love everything about it. I'm so glad I popped over, will be following your lovely blog, can't enter competitions I'm across the ocean but I can drool over the amazing entries :0)

VickiT said...

What a beautiful quilt and your quilting is, as always Marcia, just perfect. Loved seeing the process you go through to choose the thread. Thanks for showing this.

msmargie2 said...

Beautiful work !!!!

Jenn4653 said...

Gorgeous!!!

Jenn4653 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen said...

I just tripped onto your blog today, and what have I been missing!! Fabulous quilting and quilts and information!! Thanks so much!

ValerieH said...

Thanks so much for this post. I usually fret over what color thread to use. Great advice!