Thursday, January 15, 2015

I am Happy ... Happy ... Happy ... --- like the song!

Why am I so Happy?

I have struggled with a very very slow internet. It just kept getting slower and slower.  We live in the country and our options for internet service was limited to one source! Recently, we found out we could get internet from a different source.  It is more then 10 times faster!  

I am soooo Happy ... Happy ... Happy! 

I am not kidding, when I say it could take up to 10 minutes to upload a photo (we are talking about a photo, that I edited to make smaller in size, to help with uploading) to a post. Sometimes the internet would fail and I would have to start over.  I would upload photos, while I was making dinner and I would go back and forth and wait and wait and wait.  A post would take over an hour to complete and sometimes I would have to do it later, as the internet would stop working.  I finally just stopped posting, unless I really wanted to share something. 

I want to share! I love to share! I love to create!

Anyway, I am Happy!

I am also Happy ... Happy ... Happy ... with my Tree inspired quilt for the first Project Quilting Challenge.

I named it "Family Trees" --- Not Family Tree.  It is plural because it represents everyone's family trees, not just ours.



I used Kim's Drunken Flying Geese to make the trees and made them so free form, that I cut off the points too! See the previous posts about the creating process. 
Progress on my Trees Post.  and How I created the trees Post.



I added a free form house to the bottom of the quilt.  The house represents "a home".  A home is where you live with those you love.



On the edge, next to the binding, I quilted PQS6Ch1 --- Project Quilting Season Six Challenge One. This is something new I will be stitching on each of my challenge quilts.

I quilted/stitched the words: " Made with love by Mom - Marcia and Ritch 2015" 

I added a free form star using the scrap triangles from the flying geese. The star's points are meant to be uneven on purpose - free form.  The star is for my daughter.  I stitched/quilted the words:  
"You are one of the stars in our family tree!"



My daughter is a star!  She is receiving her Phd this spring. I will pack it in my suitcase and take it with me when we go for the ceremony, where she defends her Dissertation and officially receives her Phd. We are super proud of her.

Here are some up close photos of the quilting.  I really had fun with the Paisley Swirl Quilting. I quilted small paisleys and large ones and double ones and upside down paisleys. I shadowed around the trees and made some invisible trees.

What a blast!






And here is a photo of the back of the quilt.




I used a quilting thread color named Pearl.  I think it looks like a greyish white.  It was perfect for both sides of the quilt.  I used a washable wool batting.  I machine embroidery stitched the binding.







I love to create for family members, as I do the Project Quilting Challenges.  As I said, this one is for my daughter.  My Niece is having a baby this spring, so one of the challenges will be a baby quilt. Table Runners are made for my sister in laws and nieces too.

Thanks again for following along.

I am Happy ... Happy ...

Happy to be challenged!

Marcia

8 comments:

Sandy Panagos said...

That quilt is great. So so special. I love the way you made the trees. It makes me happy to see how happy you are. Loved seeing all the photos!

Debbie said...

This is so wonky it is priceless. I love the aged appearance and dense quilting....turned out great!

Rosemary B❤️ said...

Rosemary B here:
Ohhhh I love it.
You have many reasons to be happy.
So proud of your daughter.
Happy Friday!

gpc said...

It's absolutely beautiful. Congrats to your daughter! What a lovely reminder of her accomplishment!

Michele said...

Yeah for you....for a beautiful quilting job and for the new internet service.

glassbylindi.blogspot.com said...

This quilt is gorgeous! Great job!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

The slow internet would explain why you haven't been blogging much, the past many months.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful quilt and I am so happy you found a different internet source! People who don't live in the country have no idea how hard it can be. We are using Hughes now which is pretty fast but.......we almost always run out before the end of the month. I can't even imagine how neat it would be to have NetFlix and stuff like that!