Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The First Morning Glory Bloom Inspired My Quilting

It was Project #13 from my Minutes for Me Adventure at the October quilt retreat and I finally started it at the November quilt retreat, last weekend.  I was able to quilt it today! I thread painted it on the raw edge applique. I only have the binding and the hanging sleeve left to do.


This is the original photo of the first bloom.  I used it as my inspiration for the quilt.  I added a few leaves and changed the color of the bloom.


I had fun with the leaves using three thread colors.


I started with a print of the photo to use as a guide. I printed a large draft quality print of the bloom to use as the pattern to create the flower. I drew the leaves free form. 

I drew out all the pieces onto lite heat and bond and ironed the it to the back of the fabric.  Then cut them out.  I arranged them on the background and then pressed them with the iron in place.








I used Fine Point Sharpie markers to draw the lines, so I would know where to stitch when I did the thread painting on the pieces.







I started to thread paint on the bloom using several colors.


Added some grain lines to the wood with a brownish grey.




Three thread colors for the leaves.






Started with four thread colors for the bloom.




Then a light pink for the center of the bloom.


Then a light blue.




Stitched with a light blue thread to form tiny circles for the background filler.














Flipped it over so you can see the back of the quilt.




I was inspired by the "first" bloom from my container garden this year and I am pleased with the results.

This was my second quilt that was inspired by my garden.  I created the first one this spring and named it Blooming Beans

I also wrote a post a month ago about photos from my garden that I will use to inspire more quilts - Quilting the Colors and Textures from My Garden.

I am ready to try another one soon.

What inspires you?

Enjoy your day! 
Marcia


Linked with:
and
and

47 comments:

Sheila said...

Gorgeous work , love the thread painting ,it looks fantastic ! I have not done a lot of thread painting but do enjoy it when I make that effort. Thanks for the inspiration :-)

Belinda said...

You are just so gifted in this! I love this so much! Beautiful work Marcia.

Heather said...

Beautiful work! This is a wonderful piece of art. Great job!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Beautiful work Marcia. I love to look at thread painting; but haven't tried as of yet...not saying I won't though...lol. It really is lovely work....glad you shared it with us...

Melissa Corry said...

Wow!! That is absolutely stunning!! I love the thread painting look. Thank you so much for linking up. Each link inspires me to want to try new things.

MaryAnne said...

This is beautiful! I want to learn how to quilt like this, someday.

Pauline G said...

This is inspiring - I must look out some of my photos of my garden -yours are really beautiful

Karen O said...

Wow, I can't even begin to imagine being able to do something like this. You have a great eye for art and the tools to make it happen.

Colby said...

Thread painting is such a neat new way to quilt. I love how you used the natural colors of the batiks to recreate the flower. Job well done!

Pat Merkle said...

Looks great! I think thread painting is very cool.

Izzy said...

Wow - your bloom is absolutely gorgeous. I had never seen thread painting before; it really looks beautiful. I'm amazed at the talent you have.

VickiT said...

Wow. That is just gorgeous. You did a fabulous job. I'm sure you're extremely proud of that work. The Morning Glory is one of my favorite flower so I am really in love with all that work you did on that piece.

Unknown said...

That quilting is absolutely a work of art.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Lovely to see your wonderful quilt and creative process.

Sarcastic Quilter said...

Wow! Looking great!

Canadian Abroad said...

Amazing quilting!

Michelle said...

Gorgeous! Simply gorgeous!

Shay said...

Oh my goodness- that is simply amazing.

I've never tried thread painting since my raw edge appliqué skills are questionable. I'll just continue to be inspired by your brilliance.

Thank you for sharing this with us for Favourite things Friday - it's beautiful!

Beth said...

Marcia, Your quiltwork is really well-done, and your bloom is beautiful!

Sarah Craig said...

What a beautiful little quilt, Marcia! The thread painting is a new technique to me, but I can tell it's something I'm going to have to try! Whoop whoop!!

Miss Hillbilly said...

Oh, this is absolutely beautiful! You can tell how popular--look at all the comments. You deserve them!

Carla said...

Wow what an amazing quilt! So much detail and awesome work!

Sue Daurio said...

Oh my goodness!!!! That is just gorgeous. What a beautiful work of art!

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous quilt! Just amazing.

Thanks for sharing your process too!

Chris Daly said...

What a beautiful quilt Marcia! Fantastic!

Ulla's Quilt World said...

Hi! Greetings from Finland! Your quilts are so fantastic! It's so nice to find other quilters all around the world! :)

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi Marcia! I love your work! It's really beautiful and so cretive! x Teje

Rebecca said...

What beautiful detailed work!

Down to Sew said...

This is really cool! maybe someday I'll try somthing like this. I grow a trellis full of morning glories and I have a longarm.... Thanks for sharing the process!

Unknown said...

Finally got everything working again on my end. This morning glory is beautiful. Fantastic work AGAIN lov eit

Susana Neiger said...

I LOVE the quilting details! Beautiful work! Saw your link at Pieceful Life. Thanks for sharing!

elizabeth said...

Your work is gorgeous! The thread painting is beautiful. Thank you for linking up to LQM : )

Debbie said...

Wow - this is amazing work! Just beautiful!!

Elaine said...

This is a great tutorial. I love the quilt.

Just Jaime said...

WOW! Gorgeous!

Sarah said...

Wow, this is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the tutorial.

Doni said...

I am soooo impressed! Your talent is amazing! LOVE the colors, and you did a magnificent job with that quilting....
Boy, what a great machine to have! That bloom is soo pretty...the blues are just so nice! Thanks so much for joining me for Pearls and Lace Thursday this week! I'm so glad to came to the party!
Blessings, Doni

Mary said...

Thanks for posting your process. I love this piece.

Honey at 2805 said...

This is gorgeous, Marcia! You are such a talented artist! Thank you for linking this lovely post to Potpourri Friday!

Shawn said...

Wow amazing quilting and thanks for sharing your process, so creative!!

AccurateCuts.etsy.com said...

Thank you for taking the time to not only show us a gorgeous piece for inspiration, but also the process you used to create this. I'm really glad I stopped by.

Michele said...

i am so impressed by your beautiful work. i hope to learn quilting one day. love to you on pearls and lace thursday. xo

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is so gorgeous! I can't imagine ever sewing something so detailed.

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

wow! your quilt is beautiful!

thanks for sharing @ catch as catch can!
gail

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

The flower is amazing, it has a real 3D effect and I love the leaves too. Thank you f or sharing in photos each stage of the process. Might have a go at something like this one day myself. Although I only have an old domestic sewing machine, I think it would be achievable.

Diann said...

This is beautiful Marcia! And I love all the cool techniques! They are so fun and different! thank you for joining TTF and have a great day!

Mike Pearson said...

I already follow your blog. Love your food pictures. I found you on the new blogger linky party a while ago. Thanks for sharing!