Thursday, October 29, 2015

I Named It: "One Patch Short of a 9-Patch Quilt"

I love the 9-Patch Quilt Block! It is so simple and fun to make.  There are so many variations and twists that is makes it an interesting block with a simple design. 


For the Focus Through The Prism Project Quilting Challenge we were to be inspired by the 9 Patch Quilt Block. I thought it would be fun to make a 9-Patch that was short a block, thus my simple design, missing a block!






I really had fun with the quilting on this one! I quilted differently on each 9 patch with some fun stuff including spirals and wiggle lines and bubbles and some non traditional quilting.




I thought it would be fun to add wavy lines in the background.  I was going to quilt with purple thread and then I changed my mind and selected a dark grey thread on the black fabric.  I like it!




I selected a batik backing so you can somewhat see the quilting. I love all the splashes of color.








Several years ago, I attended a 9-Patch Party, where we all brought 4 inch squares and then we threw them all out on a table and mixed them up.  Then you filled a lunch bag with the squares.  You would reach into the bag and start sewing them together in whatever order they came out.  It was really hard for me at the time, as I thought everything should match and they didn't.  But I loved the end result.

I think that is why I love the 9-Patch Quilt Block so much. It's the wonderful memory of that first 9-Patch Party!


I am linking up for the Focus Through the Prism Project Quilting Challenge over at Kim's Blog --- Persimons Dreams.

There is one more challenge for the series of 7 and that will begin Nov. 1st and we will again have one month to create a 20" X 20" inspired on a particular quilt block! Of course this month it was the 9-Patch Quilt Block.  I always try to guess what it will be.  This month, I guessed correctly!

I have the color Indigo Blue left from my Cherrywood Bundle of fat quarters to use for the November Challenge. November is my Birthday month and I saved the Indigo Blue, because I love BLUE!  You know that.

Hop over and check out all the wonderful Challenge Quilts!

Enjoy!

Marcia

2 comments:

Michele said...

That was a great idea and I like the way it turned out.

Carla said...

Fun idea but I'd have a hard time taking the fabric out of the bag and sewing as it came out.

Your quilt is cool and I really like how the back turned out