Friday, August 15, 2014

I Love Fabric Scraps!


Especially, if they are blue tiny print fabrics.  Yes, I love fabric scraps!

I bought several bags of fabric scraps from a friend through a fabric destash group on facebook.  They had belonged to her Mother.  I also bought several yards of her fabric too, but I seemed to be most excited about the scraps bags, but as you can see, I don't think Toby was.  He was sleeping and enjoying the sunshine.  I think he is just happy to have me around sorting scraps.


First, I very carefully opened each bag and looked for straight pins.  I only found three pins.


I found old fabric sticker tags and tape on a few and a button. I was told the bags hadn't been opened in several years.  I am sure her Mother saved them, thinking she would use them for something one day.  Just like we all do. Well they came to a good home. I love scraps!
Next, I put all the little scraps in a pillow case.


Tied it up with a big knot.


Washed and dried the pillowcase full of fabric scraps.  


I did not dried it completely.  I like the scraps to be a little damp when I sort them out.  It is easier to flatten them out as I sort.



It may look like a mess to you, but not to me! I sorted it while watching TV one evening.



It is almost like a puzzle.  I sorted the fabric pieces into piles of similar colors.  It covered my whole table.


Here's a closer look at the blues.


After it was all sorted, I cut the pieces into 2 inch squares and 1 1/4 inch squares to use for little 4 patch blocks that end up being 2 inch squares when sewn together.


I laid them out on the table to see how they would look together.  It's scrappy, but I moved them around a bit.  There are, of course, duplicates of many of them and I did not want them together.  It is not all 30's reproduction.  There are some from the 60s and even the 70's. It did not matter to me as I selected all my favorite ones.


I started to sew them together. First in groups of 2 and then in 4 patches of both the tiny ones and the 2 inch squares. I had about ten little 4 patch blocks.


Here's an up close photo of the 4 patch blocks.  See how I worked the little 4 patch blocks into the larger ones.


When I put them together, I kept moving them around and I had already pressed seams in different directions, so I had to move some of the seams to press the other way.  This made the back of the quilt --- not so pretty or not perfect.  That is OK.  It was more important to get the prints in a nice scrappy balance.


I was so excited that it was completed and ready to quilt.  I took a photo with a dinner plate on it --- Pretending like it was done! 


It is four - 4 patch blocks across and  five - 4 patch blocks down.  That is a total of twenty - 4 patch blocks.  Or 80 total squares measuring 1 1/2 inch finished squares including the little tiny 4 patch blocks! I love it!


I free style quilted it on my long arm quilting machine with a small meandering with little tiny hearts. I selected a soft blue thread for the quilting and the binding.


Here's an up close photo of the all machine embroidery stitched binding.  The quilted piece to the left is my table topper that I quilted with small meandering and tiny leaves.



Here's an up close photo of where I stitched my name and the year --- Marcia 2014. It hard to see with all the prints.


I love it with my new blue plate from a local resale shop.


If you look up close at the quilting, you can see the tiny hearts in between the meandering.


You can see it better on the backside of the placemat.


The placemat measures 16 inches by 12 inches.




A full view of the backside of the placemat.


I could use it on either side.


I love it! I know my friend's Mother would be happy to know, I used a few of the blues scraps to display on my table. I plan to cut the rest of the scraps into 2 inch and 1 1/4 inch squares to make more placemats --- someday.  For now, I will just have one special placemat to enjoy on my table.





Looks great with this plate too!


And this old one too.  I don't have matching plates.  I love to have a variety of plates. It makes my table look like a patchwork quilt.


I had breakfast on my new placemat this morning.


And lunch on it too.


I have another blog, where I post photos of pretty food, on pretty plates, on pretty placemats. I named it:  Lunch Looks Like a Quilt to Me!  It's just for fun!

I know it is Friday, but this post is going to be tagged - Sunday's Scraps.  If you click on the tags at the bottom of this post, it will take you to all my posts tagged Sunday's Scraps - but it will start with this post, then keep scrolling and clicking next post.

Do you buy scrap bags and what do you make with them?

Enjoy!

Marcia

10 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

What fun to play with these beauties! I would have pulled the blues first, too. I don't buy scrap bags - usually I get people who gift those on to me.

Sheila said...

Oh my. Such a PRETTY scrappy place mat. Love your scraps from the dryer.
Thoroughly enjoyed your food blog! Food, plates, recipes, pictures, everything! Thank you for sharing.

VickiT said...

Wow Marcia! Those are amazing scraps. They all remind me of the older fabrics with all those tiny flowers and other designs in them. Very nice.

To answer your question, yes, I have bought scraps before. The sale I ran across a few years ago was a woman who had fabrics and anything else you could imagine from years back. The family donated to the local historical society everything so they could sell it and keep whatever money they got from the sale. I bought all her shoe box sized containers because they were all filled with already sorted scraps and a couple of them had quilt blocks in process. I bought A LOT more than those containers however. A LOT more!! LOL

Lori said...

I love scrappy too! Nothing like a quick finish to feel rewarding.

Catskill Quilter said...

Marcia, I SO enjoyed reading this whole post! I love scraps, and I kept all of my Mom's fabric collection and used it, slowly over time as a way to remember her. Our tastes were so different! You made fabulous use of all of these blue scraps, and the quilting is so detailed.

Swedish Scrapper said...

Wow, what a bounty! I enjoyed looking at the blues and recognizing some prints from the 70's and the feedsack prints too. Wonderful project to assimilate all those pretties!

Sew Surprising said...

I love scraps far more than meters of fabric :/ sadly not many places here sell scrap bags, usually find them on ebay occasionally :)

Gina said...

Well done on sorting all those scraps. I just wouldn't have the patience. Love the placemat xx

Heather371 said...

i throw nothing out and i find inspiration in scraps too. And great idea of way to wash them with a pillowcase never would have thought of that.

Heather

NancyL said...

I love scrapes. Love the blue willow plate. NancyL