Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Hodgepodge Patchwork Tuesday --- Saving Scraps

Tonight, my Hodgepodge Patchwork Post will take us down memory lane...

I am a scrapper!  I save fabric scraps.  Not just any scraps.  I save ends, corners, and selvages that I trim or cut off the fabric, when I am creating a quilt.



These fabric scraps are from a baby quilt that I made 10 years ago.



A cute little scrap of the bee fabric!



This print is so tiny on this scrap, I can't even tell what it is?



Most of the fabric pieces are so tiny, I wouldn't be able to even sew them together.  This next one might be big enough for a postage stamp quilt.


But I did not save the scraps for making another quilt.  I saved them to cherish in a cute little jar.


Follow Me on Pinterest I squished the scraps into a baby food jar and I wrote a label.



Folded it up and put the note inside the jar.



It was a Sunbonnet Sue Baby Quilt.  It was the first official quilt, I quilted on my Gammill Quilting Machine in April of 2003.  My quilt room looks so bare.





I used a soft blue thread and quilted it with overall loops.
Don't look too close at the photos --- It was 10 years ago!



This was not the first quilt I made. I made my first quilt in 1981. Click here, if you missed that post.


So I have a few photos of the Sunbonnet Sue Quilt and this cute little jar to remember it.

I don't save the scraps from every quilt I make, but I have saved them from several of the quilts over the years. 

We all make quilts for family and friends. We give them away.  We take photos, but it is just not the same as being able to see the actual fabric. Even if they are just tiny scraps.



These are the scraps from a quilt, I made for a wedding gift.



I love the little guys on horses with the circle trees.  Look at the tiny blue flowers on the next photo.  I will look for the photos of this quilt and share it another time.


I love the cool pattern the blue and white fabric scraps create in this jar.  They are from my Pineapple Quilt.  As I rotary cut each round of the pineapple, I added them to the jar.



My blue and white pineapple quilt hangs on the wall in my quilting shop. 


I could have put it on our bed, but I love seeing it everyday.  I love the blues... the blue fabrics really make me smile!





I will share more of the scraps in the jars and the quilts I have made over the years on another Hodgepodge Post.  I will search for the old photos over the Holidays and share more in 2013.

These are the scraps from the quilt, I made for my Mom.



And these are the scraps from the quilt, I just made for my daughter.



Thanks for taking a few moments to go down memory lane with me.

Do you save your fabric scraps?

If so, how do you save yours?

Enjoy your day!
Marcia

5 comments:

Kati from Kati's Quilting said...

Great system Marcia, why didn't I think of it before? I have my project scraps in plastic boxes, but they never fill a box, not even half way, no matter how small of a box I use. Your pineapple quilt is stunning and I really love the pattern you used. Do you remember if it was a traditional pattern or where did you find it? I'm eager to make one in red and white I have Alex Anderson's Redwork Romance collection and the next one she had a while back to use for it. Thanks for your help in advance!:))

The Slow Quilter said...

As I read your post today, the song "Memories like the corner of my mind" Barbara Streisand kept playing in my head. What a wonderful way to keep your memories in a jar. This is most inspiring.

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Ok, now I have "Memories" playing in my head lol.

When I first started sewing and quilting I saved every scrap of fabric thinking I would use them for a scrap quilt. Now that I have more experience in quilting I went through and tossed alot of the little bitty pieces that were smaller than 2".

I've never thought about saving the scraps from a special project as a reminder. It's a wonderful idea.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

You've given me a lot to think about today... I keep scraps but not in a thoughtful way like you. Thanks for some great ideas!

Carla said...

Nice idea and how do you store all those memory jars?
I love your blue and white pineapple quilt too. If you ever get tired of it you can send my way. LOL