Monday, May 9, 2011

Getting up Close with Ribbon Quilting

Ribbon quilting is basically a double meandering. 

I quilt it with one thread color and then I change thread colors. Then I quilt it by following the quilting, going in and out to make it look like a twisted ribbon. In most cases, I do a section at a time, changing thread colors with each roll on my quilting machine.

I think the 2 colors should either be dark and light or medium and light.  There needs to be a contrast to create the shadowing effect of a ribbon that is twisted.

It is an over all quilting that is perfect for any quilt, especially modern quilts, but not necessarily traditional quilts. That is just my opinion and I have quilted Ribbon Quilting on a large variety of quilts. I think that is it a perfect quilting for a baby quilt or a lap quilt and even a large quilt.


Quite often, I use two colors of thread, thus resulting in a shadow effect, giving more of a twisted appearance. I call it Two Color Ribbon Quilting. 

Most of my customers who choose the ribbon quilting, also choose to have a twist.  A twist is a free style flower, star, swirl, leaf, or another quilted item.


The most selected size of ribbon quilting is the extra large.

I have posted several examples here on my blog under the tag: Ribbon Quilting 

and under the tag: Up Close Quilting you will see tons of posts with up close photos of my quilting.  

There are more photos of my quilting on my website in the Photo Gallery.  

Two color ribbon quilting with a twist is my favorite type of free style quilting, when I need an overall quilting for a quilt top.  Do you have a favorite quilting style?















May for Me Prize Giveaway featuring this quilt, 
The Easy to Sew Quilt, 
Next Post! (later today)

And Next week Monday 
"Getting up close with Quilting Swirls"
Having Fun in May!

Marcia

6 comments:

Joyce said...

I had never heard of ribbon quilting but love it. I'm going to try it on my next quilt!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I love to quilt with color and this is so pretty with the two thread ribbon. I have to give it a go for sure.

Heather said...

SEW pretty! You do very nice work. :)

Maite - vitoma said...

¡Preciosos!
Bss.

Miss Hillbilly said...

You sure do beautiful work. Every time I see your quilting it just makes me want to get seth's quilt done...or at least started because I am curious what you would do with it!

Char said...

Love all the examples of ribbon quilting. Thanks for sharing.