Saturday, February 24, 2018

"Blue is the New Yellow for Me"

You know, I love BLUE!  

When I shared the new Project Quilting Challenge (9.4) this week, I stated: "The Quilt Challenge is Mellow Yellow. I can create a quilt with yellow fabric, but I would love to make it blue!"  

A family member sent me a message and told me in the song "Mellow Yellow" they refer to Saffron Flowers and they are blue.  Well.... I did a little research and of course, listened to the song and found out the saffron flowers are really a blueish purple and have beautiful red, yellow, and orange centers.

I really had fun with this quilt challenge as I was creating with blue and yellows and other colors! I took a ton of photos of the quilting from selecting the thread to step by step quilting of each section of the quilt.

I linked up my quilt "Blue is the New Yellow for Me" for Project Quilting 9.4 over at Persimon Dreams.


My quilt is about 20" across by 19 1/2" tall.




I drew out a few petals and flower parts for the raw edge applique.




Selecting the quilting thread...


















I took several photos as I quilted each section of the quilt...












































I took my quilt outside to get a few more photos. A gloomy day is usually perfect for photos, but the flowers seem so light in the photos. They are more vibrant in real life.







This was the fourth challenge of this year. If you did not see my other three, you can click on the links to see them.

"A Strong Heart" for Project Quilting Challenge 9.3 Bold and Brave

"Directional Triangles" for Project Quilting 9.2 - Triangles.


"11 Hearts for 11 Hometowns" for Project Quilting 9.1 - Hometown Pride.


Prizes for the 4th Challenge of Project Quilting - THIS WEEK

I am a prize sponsor of Project Quilting for the 8th year in a row, as I started sponsoring in Season 2 of Project Quilting and my prizes are Number 12 and 13 this week:

PRIZE 12
“Quilting Gift Certificate” for $50.00 off the Quilting on a Lap size quilt or larger. (Lap, Twin. Full, Queen, or King) from Marcia’s Crafty Sewing & Quilting. 
The Gift Certificate will be good for 4 months starting one month after the challenge ends.  Excluding the Month of December for using the gift certificate.  The quilting gift certificate is transferable to another person, so you can share it with a friend, if you’d like. 
Marcia will do an estimate based on the size of the winner's quilt top, quilting choices, thread choices, and batting and if they would like to purchase backing fabric from me. Winner can send backing fabric and batting with their quilt top, but I do have it available. This way the winner will have a good estimate of the value of your quilting prize.

PRIZE 13 – FOR EVERYONE WHO PARTICIPATES!
Marcia would also like to giveaway to a separate prize of one of her original patterns (value $8.00) to EVERYONE who participates in the second Project QUILTING challenge!  To claim this prize all you have to do is email Marcia (marcia@craftysewing.com) and let her know your name and the name of the project you submitted!  And voile – you’ll have a prize!

Grand Prizes for Project Quilting


Hop over to Kim's Blog at Persimons Dreams 


and see all the beautiful quilts created in one week!

Enjoy!

Marcia

2 comments:

Lisa England said...

Your quilt is beautiful and I loved learning about your process. Thanks for sharing!

PersimonDreams said...

It's beautiful! And I love that you managed to make a yellow challenge about blue! Great work!