Saturday, February 8, 2014

Wisconsin Cotton Candy for Show and Tell Saturday!

I like "Wisconsin Cotton Candy" for name of my little fluffy quilt, but I thought about "Cotton Candy on the Farm" or just "Cotton Candy Blankie".


I had to switch my project this week.  I completed the chevron or zig zag blue and cream quilt top, but the fabric I selected for the back of it was not big enough.  I placed an order for more fabric.  I thought there was a chance it might arrive by Friday or Saturday and I could still quilt and bind it before Sunday at noon, but the fabric did not arrive. I will quilt it next week and share later.

It is ready for a good press, before I quilt it.

I grabbed the scraps and started creating a little fluffy blankie!


This week I was multi-tasking by creating for a customer and doing the challenge at the same time.  My customer ordered a baby quilt in blues and creams.  He also asked if somewhere we could add a cow for Wisconsin. (or something to represent Wisconsin).  I originally thought maybe on the back with a label, but I also knew, I would have scraps to work with to make a taggie quilt to go along with the quilt. So when I did not have a backing for the baby quilt, I decided it was time to create a fluffy quilt for the Sweet Treats Challenge.

Sharing the photos step by step with a few words.

I cut the squares 3" from flannels, cottons, and minkie fabric scraps.  All in soft colors.

I laid them out, but as I stitched it together, I changed them around.




Note that I am not trying to match the seams.  The minkie fabrics stretch and shift too much.












I added poly batting to the taggie quilt this time.  The others had no batting.  I love it with the poly batting. Really adds a nice fluff!


Lots of pins! 


I stitched around the outside edges twice leaving an opening about 5-6 inches in the center of one side.








I topstitched the edge all the way around. At the same time it closed the opening.
I quilted it with straight lines, somewhat following the squares, but I did not line up the squares. You can see on the back where I stitched.
















I will add a photo of my Wisconsin Cotton Candy Quilt to the Project Quilting flicker site for the Sweet Treats Project Quilting Challenge.  

Check out the completed projects!

www.persimondreams.com

Thanks again for following along!
Enjoy!
Marcia

2 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I love the little taggy quilts and this is just so sweet with the textured fluffies stuck in.

Janie Bettis said...

Marcia, I wanted some inspiration so I went to your Flickr page and saw this Cotton Candy Blankie. Just too sweet.
Janie