Monday, July 28, 2014

My Indepence Challenge for Project Quilting

It is very typical for me to start out making a quilt and then come up with another idea and change it all around!  That is why this quilt, that I created is perfect for the Independence Challenge. 

I will be publishing a PDF Quilt Pattern in August on Craftsy.com using charm blocks for the quilt, instead of doing a transformation on the Rainbow Quilt. That is the quilt made from 6 fat quarters. The PDF Quilt Pattern will have all the exact measurements, so you can make the quilt too.  I will post when I share it in my Craftsy Pattern Store.

If you missed the first post about my Rainbow Transformation for the Independence Project Quilting Challenge click here and then come back to here for this post.

Yes, I did make several changes.

First, I made five large 4-patches using the 7 inch squares and a couple of the small 4-patches.



Then I cut some of the 7 inches squares into 6 inch squares.



Spread them out on the guest bed. Time to pause and view.



I liked the white spaces in between the blocks. So, more pausing and viewing and brainstorming.



I stitched a white strip to one side of the large 4-patch blocks and the 6 inch and 7 inch and small 4-patch blocks.


Next, I stitched a white strip to the bottom side of each block.  I stitched the smaller blocks together to form a rectangular block that measured the same width of the larger block.

I spread them out on the guest bed again and stitched them together in 3 vertical rows.

Next, I stitched the 3 rows together and added white borders on one side of the quilt and top side of the quilt.



I found the perfect backing fabric - a blue checked fabric.



I quilted it.



I selected a lite blue and green for the thread for the Two Color Ribbon Quilting.



Here are some up close photos of the quilting and the quilt blocks.








The Ribbon Quilting looks like windy roads!




This quilt will be given as a gift to a new baby! I quilted in his name and birth date and Made with Love by Marcia and Ritch.




I used a Zig Zag Stitching for the all machine stitched binding.





Here's a full view of the quilt.


I folded it up. It is ready to take to the new parents for their new baby.


I will linking up this post over at Persimmons Dreams for the July Project Quilting Challenge.





Here is a sneak peak of the same quilt made with charm squares.


I will be publishing a PDF Quilt Pattern in August on Craftsy.com using charm blocks for the quilt. The PDF Quilt Pattern will have all the exact measurements, so you can make the quilt too.  I will post when I share it in my Craftsy Pattern Store.

Enjoy!
Marcia

2 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I like this - like this a lot! So many possibilities with fabric and color. I look forward to the pdf.

Michele said...

It turned out adorable and such a simple yet eye catching design.