Sunday, January 8, 2017

Eight is Great for Project Quilting!

The first Project Quilting Challenge was this past week. We were to be inspired by the number eight. This is the Link to Project Quilting.

I challenged myself again this year to create using my daughter's Ikea sewing machine. It is a small and basic sewing machine. I was creating with limited sewing supplies, which included a tiny cutting board and ruler and a rotary cutter. No walking foot or feed dogs to drop! It made a wrinkled quilt, but in the long run it did not matter as it made a little boy very happy!

I had an added challenge of a 3 1/2 year old by my side rushing the process. When he went to bed I finished the binding. Plus I have spent most of the time holding my new granddaughter which has been super cool! Even cooler than quilting!





The quilt is a dual purpose quilt - the road fabric on one side and a yoga mat on the other side with an 8 patch design.

Here's how I made it.







This is my daughter's cute little sewing machine!





It is a completely different motion when you quilt on a domestic sewing machine versus a longarm quilting machine. I really struggled with the free motion quilting, but I was determined to quilt an 8 in the center of my "Eight Patch"!  It was a real challenge for me to experience quilting on a domestic sewing machine with no walking foot or the ability to drop the feed dogs. I left the 8 pieces of the "Eight Patch" raw edged, to naturally fray. 




We tuned into Cosmic Kids Yoga on You Tube. He loved it!




My grandson flipped it over to play cars with Baba!


Again don't look at the quilting....




What a fun challenge for me!


I am also sponsoring Project Quilting again this year with 2 prizes for each challenge. Click here to see the Prizes for Season Eight.

Happy New Year!

Marcia


3 comments:

Lucky Duck Dreams said...

I think it is awesome! I love how a challenge and limited materials can foster such great creativity. The squares and even the wrinkles and not quite perfect quilting are perfect for this piece. And perfect for a young boy.

Trish Frankland said...

What a great project! I'm glad you're still with us, even though you're far away and I'm impressed by your resourcefulness!

PersimonDreams said...

I love this! THat sewing machine is beyond adorable too! yeah!