Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Hodgepodge Patchwork Tuesday - How I Make Baby Burp Cloths

Update:  The Baby Burp Cloth Tuorial is now available in a downloadable pattern at Craftsy.com for only $1.00.Here is the direct link: 
http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/sewing/other/baby-burp-cloths-tutorial/96963

Fat quarters work perfect for the baby burp cloths.  I use quilting fabrics for one side and flannel fabrics for the other side.  Cut the fat quarter in half lengthwise.  9" X 21"  Gives you two front sides.



If I don't have a fat quarter and I am using my leftover quilting scraps, I may make it a little wider or a little shorter.  Just need a long rectangle of 2 pieces of fabric.



Place the 2 long rectangles pretty sides together. I do not add batting or extra fabric.  It is just two layers of fabric.



Press/Iron the rectangles so they lay nice and flat. Trim the sides even. It should be approximately 9 inches wide.



Use a bowl or a plate to round the ends of the fabric. Rotary cut through both layers with the pretty sides together.






It is ready to sew. I stitch with a seam allowance of 3/8" . Start on one straight side and stitch around the ends and back around.  Stop to leave an opening of about 3 to 4 inches.





You can see the opening in this photo.  Snip v's around both curved ends, being very careful not to snip through the stitching.  If you do, just go back and stitch it again.


A larger view.



Turn right side out.



Press/Iron so the edges are nice and even. I use my fingers to squeeze and crease the edges together before I press.



Press/Iron the opening flat and even.



You will stitch it closed, when you top stitch on the next step.

Top stitch 1/4" from the edge.



Go slow around the corners.




I made some matching sets of baby burp cloths.



 Some I just made a couple.



I will have several ready for baby gifts.



This one was a scrap of vintage umbrella fabric.  I made this one a little wider and stitched two rows of top stitching.


Bicycles and jump ropes -  Love this fabric!



I completed 15 baby burp cloths in an afternoon of sewing.  I have several other sets all cut and ready to sew, when I need more.



Get out that leftover quilting fabric and some flannels and stitch up a few!

I am working on the photos for next week's Hodgepodge Patchwork.  

It is a fun and easy quilt pattern using 6 fat quarters.  If you missed it --- you can enter to win 6 Quilter's Blenders Fat Quarters - click here.  It is the May for Me Giveaway #3. I am sharing 3 sets with 3 winners!



Enjoying May!
Marcia


3 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Thank you for the tutorial - and I love the bicycle fabric!

Betsy said...

Marcia, thank you so much for the tutorial. I am going to try to make some this week!

krislovesfabric said...

Thanks for this tut! And I just adore that bicycle fabric!!