Saturday, January 24, 2015

A Large Hot Pad Made from the Leftover Scraps

What a fun way to use my scraps!


A little snow on the bottom corner, if you are wondering. I love to take photos of my quilts in the snow.


Here's how I created my odd shaped hot pad. I started with an odd shaped center. I suggest at least 5 sides.  I started with 8 sides and the piece was about 4 to 5 inches across.



I started with the shortest side first, but you can start on any side. I stitched a small strip on that side (any width).



Press/iron. Don't trim yet.



I worked to the right, but you can go either way. Lay the strip on and stitch.


Press/iron and then trim.


Rotary trim off the excess on the back and the end that is sticking out at the edge.



You are ready to add the next strip.


Press/iron and trim that strip. Continue the same process all the way around the shape.


When it is the size you would like or if you run out of strips then give it a good press/iron and it is ready to quilt. I ended up combining some of the sides as I was stitching on strips and finished with 5 sides.


It is ready to quilt!


I selected 2 quilting thread colors - red and blue.


I wavy line quilted all the way around with the blue thread and then I wavy line quilted all the way around a couple times with the red thread. 

You can see on the back how I the wavy lines crossed each other. Yes there is snow on my quilt!


I took this photo of my thread scraps, but you can see the center point of the hot pad up close too!


Here's another photo of the back.  I only had a little of the table runner backing fabric, so I added on a reddish fabric to the back to make it larger.  That way, I could quilt the hot pad right after the table runner.


I love my odd shaped hot pad. It looks great with my table runner and my plates.


I have created with this construction method for other Project Quilting Challenges:

Floating Lilies Table Topper 


and my Spinning Flowers Bag.


On both of those posts, I shared more details and photos on the "how to process of construction". They will both give you some great ideas for creating one too.

Yes --- I am going to make something using the rest of the scraps ... Hopefully on Saturday afternoon. I will share it on my Sunday's Scraps Post.


Here is the link to my completed Table Runner and Hot Pad that I linked up for Project Quilting Challenge 2.  A Sunset for Every Day! 

Thanks for following along.

Marcia

2 comments:

Helen@Till We Quilt Again said...

Love the bright colors you choose. Always a great feeling to use what you have.Thank You for a wonderful tutorial!

Carla said...

Those bright colors cheered me up. Love the hot pad and how it matched everything.
Thanks for sharing