Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Hodgepodge Patchwork Tuesday - Quilts in My Garden - Strawberry Dazzler!


I like to add quilts and fabric everywhere, even in my garden.  I made a rough sample of a fabric weaving cover for my strawberry hanging planter.  I call it the "Strawberry Dazzler".  It is very windy up on our hill and I love to see the streamers blow in the wind.  


The second photo shows the bottom of it better.  I  should have made this before my strawberry plants were spreading out so much.  It was hard to weave the fabric thru' the plants.  I also just grabbed some strips of fabric that were already cut.  I like the yellow ones the best against the red and green.  



 I can't wait until all the plants are growing and in full bloom!
I am going to have berries soon!


You can follow along with the photos and step by step instructions in the photo gallery.




I planted a few plants mid May and they are coming along pretty good.  I love the steps my husband made.  


A friend suggested a watering idea when I can't water for a couple days. Take a soda bottle and drill a hole in the cap.  Fill it with water and tip it upside down in the wet (just watered) soil and as the soil dries the bottle will empty into the planter.  Kind of a self watering!  So I am trying it!  I even put them in my hanging planters.  






There was still water in them this morning!


My husband had to a cut larger hole in the top of my hanging planters.
 Enjoy your day!



6 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love your strawberry hanger. I have heard of the bottle watering method, but never tried it. We collect rain water from 2 drain spouts into large plastic tanks (water buffalos) and that is what we use to water all the outside plants with - so yes, lots of lugging water.

Miss Hillbilly said...

I never thought of that for watering small plants. I used to use the milk jug method when I had a garden. I am going to show this to Seth in the morning. We don't buy pop, so now he'll get to. Double the fun!

sweetybird09 said...

I like the strawberry plant hangers,I have always wanted to grow strawberries and that idea of the water bottle in the wet soil is a great one!

Linda said...

Very nice hanging planter. The bottle watering idea is great too. I have a few pots that dry out very quickly and I think this will help. Thanks. Oh and I love the plant marker too. I am soo going to steal that idea :)

Char said...

Thanks for the great plant watering idea. My husband waters the plants everyday. When he goes back to work I will not do that, so this will work for me.

Jilly said...

Your strawberry hanger is great. I have heard of the bottle watering method, but never tried it. We collect rain water from 2 drain spouts into large plastic tanks and that is what we use to water all the outside plants.
radio controlled helicopters