Monday, January 6, 2014

Getting Up Close with My Quilting - Special Area Quilting

I quilted this snowman quilt in December for my customer so she could hang up for the Holidays!  Or display it on the guest bed.

Every year, about this time, another one of my customers finishes their Snowman quilt.  It was a block of the month several years ago at Picket Fence in Prairie du Chien.



Special Area Quilting gives details and dimension in just the right places.




From wiggle lines to swirls to bubbles to spirals...


I took up close photos of each block in the snowman quilt for you.



I wiggle line quilted the tree to give it look 3 D.


Using white thread, I quilted swirls and spirals on the snowman and on the white backgrounds too.


I changed threads with every color.





Double Bubbles in the thin border and Paisley Swirls in the outside border.


Circles in the mittens for texture and stripes in the background.



 Wavy lines in the hat and the window frame.






Some photos at an angle.




Here's some photos of the backside too.





See how the backside really shows you the the details of Special Area Quilting.


Special Area Quilting makes it fun and whimsical.


Rolled up and ready for my customer.


Another full view of the front.


And a full view of the backside.



Enjoy!

Marcia

13 comments:

Karen M said...

Thanks so much for sharing these photos. I am a new long armer so I am always looking for pictures of how others design their quilting.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Just a fun, cute quilt - the quilting just adds to each block in the quilt. You always photo things so well.

Sylvia said...

Such beautiful work! Love it!
Thanks for sharing.

Lori said...

Beautiful quilt, beautiful quilting.

gpc said...

What a great quilt! Your quilting really brings out the beauty of it. :)

Maria said...

Such a gorgeous Christmas Quilt. Beautiful fabrics and your quilting is just amazing. Really makes the quilt sing....

Teresa Quilts said...


I love this quilt, but really love the way you quilted it.

Cheri the Quilting Nanny said...

The quilt is perfect! I have been trying to do the top quilting in areas like that, but haven't had the success as you have! I hope I can get that good! I hope you will share any tips and tricks you might have! I follow you so I'll get educated! my blog is
http://www.cherisquiltsandcrafts.blogspot.com
And i'll post my (hopefully) progress with you!

VickiT said...

Wow. What an awesome looking quilt. And Marcia! How amazing is the quilting you've done on that quilt! I love it. I think I need to do a quilt similar to that where there are a lot of options for you to be turned loose to do as you wish for the quilting. Beautiful job.

LJ said...

The back is just as wonderful as the front!

Michele said...

Your work just made this quilt shine.

Marcia K.W. said...

Thank you, Marcia, so much for this beautiful quilting job. Before bringing this to you for quilting, I had seen others of the same quilt that were quilted by you. I knew this would be outstanding before you started. Everyone loves it, and I will be back for more.

Marcia K.W. said...

Thank you, Marcia, so much for this beautiful quilting job. Before bringing this to you for quilting, I had seen others of the same quilt that were quilted by you. I knew this would be outstanding before you started. Everyone loves it, and I will be back for more.