Sunday, July 31, 2011

Hodgepodge Patchwork Bag - Project Quilting Entry - July 31, 2011

Here was the challenge:  Project QUILTING – Off Season Challenge: the Non-Quilt The off-season challenge came from – Kym of FabricFascination and Kimbuktu.   Here’s what she’s challenged us with:"I would like to do a Non-Quilt Quilt challenge.  The entries can be anything from a bag, to a sculpture, to a wearable, to an accessory, really anything as long as it is made of fabric and is three dimensional (not flat like a quilt).  The entry must also incorporate at least two items or textures that are not fabric."

I started with a bunch of assorted scraps of quilted rectangles and strips.  I stitched them together and zig zagged the raw edges to finish the seams. I stitched enough of them together to make a rectangle that measured 27" X 35".  Then I turned it into a bag.  Turn a Quilt into a Bag Post.
I will use my Hodgepodge Patchwork Bag for packing our dry food to go to our camper.
The items that are not fabric, but add texture, are the three crocheted doilies.  The larger one I made into a pocket for my notepad and pencil.  You have to have that along to write the shopping list for the next weekend.
Just a few photos of the construction of my bag. See link above for turning a quilt into a bag. Also more photos in the Photo Gallery of all the steps.









I am a saver. I love to find uses for discarded fabrics and discarded clothes.  About 6 years ago I started making quilted tote bags from fabric that I quilted on my long arm machine.  I even taught classes at a local craft shop.  When I would cut the kits from the quilted fabric there was always scraps and strips leftover.  I put them all into a big tote and saved them.  I am glad I did! They were perfect for this dimensional quilt challenge. The tote is still pretty full.  I'll bet, I can make at least 2 more Patchwork Bags! 




Thanks again to Project Quilting for inspiring me to create!







Just a reminder the big quilting campaign and giveaways at Sew We Quilt starts tomorrow, August 1st and continues for 3 months thru' the end of October. There's a link in my sidebar so you can hop over everyday to see what's up! 


Quilting Bloggers are all about sharing.  Sharing their gifts and talents with the world.  Sew We Quilt is really sharing the tools of the trade... Hop over and check it out!  
Share with one... Share with everyone...Enjoy your day!

Marcia


Linked with:
Thrifty Things Friday - Oct. 13, 2011
Pearls and Lace Thursday - Oct. 13, 2011
Savvy Southern Style: WOW US Wednesdays - Oct. 26, 2011

6 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

What a cute tote! Just love the doily pocket.

Miss Hillbilly said...

Oh my gosh I spy smores!

Doni said...

I'm so impressed!!!! And so excited that you found me so I could find you! I'm a follower now! Great job on that bag...and the pocket is such a cute idea! I saw those Smores too!! BUT...I'm mad, because I'm on a stupid DIET! Boohooo!!!
Your quilting skills are amazing. I'm going to be back!
Thanks so much for joining me for Pearls and Lace Thursday!
Blessings, Doni

Unknown said...

This is adorable! I, too, have a zillion scraps saved! I guess, once I learn to quilt, I can make me some totes too!

Have a great weekend!
Sarah

Diann said...

That is so beautiful Marcia! I love all the fabrics and all the pretty details you added. Thank you for being part of TTF and have a fun day!

Susanne said...

What a great tote. I have an ongoing project to get rid of some (hopefully a lot) of my scraps and this was truly inspiering. Thanks for sharing!
Wish you a good day :)