Saturday, July 9, 2011

Update on my Mom

Last week Friday, I came to Fort Atkinson where my Mom lives and went with her to a follow up doctor appointment.  In May, Mom had Pancreatitus, Gall Bladder removal surgery, and a scope surgical procedure to check the Pancreas.  She had been hospitalized for three weeks and now home for about three weeks.  Mom is doing pretty good, but still very weak.


At last week Friday's appointment the doctor ordered some more tests.  She had an MRI of her brain on Thursday. Within an hour of the test the doctor called me and said he had bad news.  He said Mom has a brain tumor 2 1/2" in diameter. He described it to my Mom as the size of a fist.  It is between the bone of her skull and the soft lining of the brain and it needs to be surgically removed, as it is causing pressure on the brain.  The Doctor said it is effecting the short term memory part of her brain and causing some confusion. He put Mom on a seizure medicine and a medicine for the swelling.  He scheduled an appointment at University Hospital in Madison with a Neurology Surgeon.


Monday, we will meet with the Neurology surgeon.  Mom will have another MRI on Monday or Tuesday to do mapping for the surgery. The surgery is now scheduled for Thursday.  The Doctor's nurse said there is a slight chance the Dr. would move the surgery up to Monday, if Mom is worse by the appointment.


I believe she is feeling better and thinking a little clearer at times, as the medicines seem to be helping.  Maybe they are relieving some of the pressure on the brain.


My youngest brother, Marty who lives in Texas and his wife, Ann are driving up here, to Wisconsin.  Mark and his wife Julie live a house away from my Mom.  We will gather for a dinner at Mark and Julie's tonight and spend some time with Mom, all together this weekend.


Please keep my Mom and our family in your thoughts and prayers...


Thanks,
Marcia


Me and Mom, when we made the Hospice Passage Quilt, earlier this year.  Alex, my nephew took the pictures.  He really had us laughing, so he got some good smiles!

17 comments:

GerryART said...

Prayers and hugs for you all
Gerry

Sharon Pernes said...

Prayers being sent your way,

Char said...

I'll keep your family in my prayers.

nono said...

Sending prayers for all.

flowerofshona said...

positive prayers for your mum and you xxx
I have had the very same opertation and the pain relief was amazing !! i was home the next day so hope it has the same effect on your lovely mum xxx

Belinda said...

Your mother is lovely! I will be praying for her, the doctors and your entire family as you minister to your Mom. Please keep us informed about how things go. :)

Rialla said...

Marcia Thank you so much for including me in your emails about Joanne. She is such a wonderful woman. She is in my prayers and thoughts. I was very glad to hear about the location of the tumor. A tumor on the brain is never great news, but located between the dura and the skull is good news, relatively speaking.

Rialla said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Miss Hillbilly said...

Thank you for the update. Hugs and prayers!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Many prayers for you and your family at this time - you will be in my thoughts - gentle hugs to all.

Heather said...

Prayers for you all being sent your way!

Linda said...

Sending hugs and prayers your way!

sweetybird09 said...

Prayers for your Mom and your whole family, keep us posted...

God Bless you

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Marsha, I will be driving thru Madison on Friday. I'll pray for your mother all week, and the whole family.

Stitch a book said...

Good Thoughts coming your way.... Stay safe, God Bless. LORI

Jan said...

Praying for your family.

Gary and Marlene Park said...

Count on Gary and me to remember you all in our prayers. I'm sending word to Ron and Ellie Hasley who are not on a computer.