Thursday, April 5, 2012

A Bonus Block for the Home Sweet Home Quilt - Marcia's Crazee Patch House

Thanks Kim for inviting me to share a Bonus Block for the Home Sweet Home Quilt Along!

Update:  This Quilt Block Pattern is now available in a downloadable pattern at Craftsy.com for only $1.00.
Here is the direct link:  http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/quilting/home-decor/crazee-patch-house-quilt-block/96519


I created a house block that is assembled like a crazee patch, where you build around a five sided object - the house. It is a very relaxed block and would be perfect to use all your leftover scraps.  


Fabrics pieces and sizes:
1. Main part of the house cut a 6" square - a striped fabric works best. You can make the house smaller if you would like.
2. One rectangle to be cut into a triangle for the roof - after you stitch it on you can trim it even with the edges of your house. I cut it 6" long by 3" wide. Use a texture fabric.
3. Two rectangles for the windows. I made them about 1" X 2". I placed one vertically and the other one horizontally. They don't have to be the same size. You can have more than two windows.
4. One rectangle for the door. I made it 1 1/2" X 3". I used a checkered fabric.
5. Strips of various widths for going around your house. You could have some of them in green colors for under the house. The sides and top strips should be in blues for a sky appearance.


Main house square
Press Lite Heat 'N Bond on the back of your windows and door and trim.





 Peal off the paper and press them in place on your square. 
Stitch the rectangle to be cut into a triangle for the roof, press, and trim it.



I drew the details in with a sharpie marker. Later, I will stitch it, when I quilt.  You could embroider the parts too.



Start stitching your strips going around your house like a crazee patch block.





I started on the roof, but you could start on the bottom with the green grass strip and then keep going around the house.  Press after you stitch each strip.
When you have enough strips stitched around your house trim your block to 12 1/2 inch square.
Your block is trimmed and ready for your Home Sweet Home Quilt.
I made my house six inches, but you could make your house smaller. Then you would have more strips to build around your house for the crazee patch look.  I think a little 3 inch house would be so cute!
I am working on another post, where I will share a cool sashing idea for the Home Sweet Home Quilt Along or for any quilt.
Enjoy!
Marcia
Marcia's Crafty Sewing & Quilting

This Post is Printer Friendly - scroll down.


Everyone is sharing their blocks at the Home Sweet Home Quilt Along Flicker Group.  I added mine too!

Don't forget to enter my Thank You Giveaway - here and here.

This week I am sharing at these Linky Parties:

25 comments:

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Wow!! I simply love this block

Vroomans' Quilts said...

How did I miss this quilt along? Nicely done tutorial - love the fabric you used for the 'house' portion - very architecture.

momto8 said...

I love your work!

Heidi Staples said...

This is great! Thanks for sharing!

Kat said...

What a great block! I love that for the roof, you started with a rectangle and *then* cut it to a triangle. Triangles scare me but the way you showed it, I think I could do that!! Can't wait to see all your "homes" put together!

Candied Fabrics said...

So cute! What a great take on log cabin piecing!

Diann said...

Oh this is a very cool block Marcia! Thank you for sharing with us at TTF. I hope you and your family have a happy and blessed Easter!

JanetK said...

What a cool block - thanks for sharing the tutorial too!
I'm a new follower...

Lesley said...

This house is just so cute! Thanks for sharing!

Cherie said...

Looks great! =D

Teresa F. said...

Fantastic! your house block is awesome, the fabric is fantastic,too.

Laura said...

Very nice house block! Love your explanation of how you made it, too. Thanks!

M-R Charbonneau said...

Love this block, Marcia! Thanks for sharing a tutorial on it!

Allison said...

wow, cute block! thanks for sharing a tute, & thanks for linking up to TGIFF! have a great weekend!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What a fun block Marcia! Thanks for the great tutorial!

Anonymous said...

What a great block. Wish the post were printer friendly! That will look so great with the other blocks.

Quiet Quilter said...

Such ingenuity! And thanks for taking the time to show the details...

Doni said...

How cute! The shading on the siding of house in using that material is just perfect! Such a sweet block!!
thanks so much for sharing it with us for Pearls and Lace Thursday!
Blessings, Doni

Sharon said...

Great block! Thanks for sharing!

ThreeOldKeys said...

Love the house block and the cool, cool colors ... I'm pretty sure it's constructed with big chunks of ice. When it's very hot this summer, I'd like to move in.

Your blog is so full of interesting happenings and inspiration!

Melissa Corry said...

That block is so cute!! Love it!!

Miss Hillbilly said...

I am going to love your blue house quilt. I can't wait too see it all done!

Shay said...

I adore house blocks and yours is so cute!

You're always doing something interesting .

Carla said...

Cool block. I'm gonna have to try this one soon. Thanks for sharing

Richard Healey said...

Thanks for linking up to my blog. Love the house I love house blocks going to have to make me one some day.

http://richardquilts.blogspot.com
http://juliadawnhealey.blogspot.com