Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Green Donation Quilt is Completed and Needs a Name!


I completed our donation quilt this morning.  As I was stitching on the binding, I paused to enjoy the beautiful view of my evergreens in bloom. I am not sure if that is what you call it - "in bloom" - but the trees are sprouting out in this bright green color.  Spring is Wisconsin is so refreshingly green!

Maybe that is why I love this quilt so much. It's the greens of spring!


I need some help naming the donation quilt.  All I can think of is Blooming Evergreens.
I would love some name suggestions from you.
As you view the photos of the donation quilt, please help me think of a name. 
I am so pleased with how it turned out.  It brought tears to my eyes as I finished the last corner and then spread it out on the bed to take the photos.  My Mom and I have been creating a donation quilt almost every year since 1997 in memory of my Dad, Dan Nordeen. We have since added in memory of Blanche Anderson, my sister-in-law's Mother. I think every year we enjoy it more than the last year.  There is something very special about creating a quilt for a cause.
Here are some up close photos of the quilting and the embroidery stitched binding.




 We created our courthouse round quilt with 40 assorted green fabrics.  All 100% cotton fabrics.
 We chose the bright green for the lattice and a multicolored green for the center square and the corner stones. 





 The last border, the binding, and the backing fabric is a green 108" Wide Quilter's Blenders.  It was perfect to use an extra wide fabric as there are no seams in the long outside borders and only 4 seams in the binding.

 I mailed it to my Mom's this afternoon and soon it will be on display at the The Fireside Dinner Theater in Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin.  They will raffle it for their fundraising efforts for the Rainbow Hospice Care in Jefferson, Wisconsin.
My Mom and I have started to brainstorm some ideas for next year's quilt and colors. We would love your suggestions on colors too.

"Quilts for a Cause" are quilts that you create from your heart.  
Take a moment to enjoy the colors around you!
Marcia

There are a couple of the "Quilts for a Cause" currently on my blog and website - click on the titles and it will take you to the posts:
All the Posts about making this year's donation quilt 2012 Link includes this post.
Donation Quilt 2011 for Rainbow Hospice
Passage Quilt for Rainbow Hospice
Comfort Pillows for Rainbow Hospice
A Signature Quilt for Kathy
Relay for Life Quilt 2009
Hearts from all over the World Quilt
Relay for Life Quilt 2012 in Praire du Chein

Sharing this post at:
Linky Party at Our Delightful Home
Happy Quilting: TNT Thursday
Faith, Grace, and Crafts: Pearls and Lace Thursday
The Thrifty Groove: Thrifty Thing Friday
At The Picket Fence: Inspiration Friday
MyRepurposed Life: Catch as Catch Can Friday
TGIFF Thank Goodness it's Finished Fridays
Quilting in my Pyjamas: Favourite Things Friday
Crazy Mom Quilts: Finish it up Fridays
Amylouwho:Sew and Tell Fridays
Confessions of a Fabric Addict: Can I Get a Whoop Whoop?
Richard Quilts: Link a Finish Friday

41 comments:

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What a beautiful quilt! I remember the photos of your mom and you getting all the strips ready to piece. Evergreen Swirls is all I can think of, I'm not very good at names.

Cherry's Prairie Primitives said...

I love all the greens!!
"Evergreens in Spring" is the name that comes to my mind!! Your quilt is absolutly beautiful!!

Quilter Kathy said...

"Spring Swirls"
Gorgeous!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Actually those new little green spouts on a pine are called 'candles' - that is what gets pruned to shape a tree (former christmas tree farmer here). And some pines and spruce candles burst in a spiral - so then they are refered to as 'pruning spirals' - allowed a little growth to the tree. Doesn't help with a name, but see, you quilted in the manner of the tree so naturally. It's just gorgeous - hmmm "whispering pines" - they do whisper in the early spring winds.

thea said...

Beautiful quilt. I'm really bad with names, I would probably call it, the green quilt or something creative like that. :)

Lida said...

It is a picture of green in Spring, it is fantastic and I love the quiltwork. Spring Surpise is the name I thought of, because it is always a surprise what will bloom again! My regards to you and your Mam for this beautiful creation,
Lida

The Nifty Stitcher said...

Gorgeous quilt - I love everything about it. Beautiful colour, beautiful quilting.

Heather said...

I love how you always quilt your name and the date into things so seamlessly with the pattern, it's gorgeous and clever.

Kristy QP said...

What a beautiful quilt! Afraid I'm not much good at names either but it looks like you've gotten some good suggestions already!

Have to say, your quilting it just spectacular. Just so lovely!

Lesley said...

Your quilt is so beautiful! The fabrics and their colors are luscious! And your quilting is superb! I would name it what you already did...Spring in Wisconsin! Then the recipient will aways know the place this quilt was born!

RandR Serenity said...

Beautiful Quilt.
As soon as I saw this quilt I thought Lily Pond Patch.

Hugs

Mhairi said...

How about Evergreen Spring or The End of Jealousy - it is green!!
It is a truly beautiful quilt and I am sure that whoever ends up with it will love it.

JudyCinNC said...

A real masterpiece and before I realized you wanted help with a name - I was already calling it "Renewal" because it was reminding me of the hope that comes every year for all of us with the arrival of Spring. Wonderful quilt. Judy C

Hollygrove Carole said...

How about Blue Spruce!

M-R Charbonneau said...

It's beautiful, Marcia! I think Blooming Evergreens is actually a perfect name. Gorgeous quilting and I love the decorative stitch on the binding - great touch!

Katie said...

quilting on it looks awesome!

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

The first thing I thought of when seeing this gorgeous quilt, is the centers look like emeralds. How about calling it "Emerald City", as those squares look like a green city as seen from above in a plane. My 4-yer old grandson would love this quilt because it's green. I am currently working on a quilt for him all in green batiks. The new green growth on evergreen trees are called "candles".

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

It finished beautifully!
I would call it "Green Acres" or "Green Meadow" ..especially as you mentioned the memory of family members. This reminds me of a peaceful green meadow, a place of rest.

Barbara said...

It reminds me of pictures I've seen of the Irish countryside. Beautiful quilt...the Color of Money.

Audrey said...

The quilt is beautiful! I love the shades of green with a touch of blue, a very calming palette. Maybe it could be Quiet Meadows or Green Tranquility.

Doni said...

Marcia, it turned out BEAUTIFULLY!!
You and your mother should be soooo proud!! And the names already mentioned will give you just the right final name for it I'm sure! GREAT job!! Thanks so much for letting us see it!
Blessings, Doni

Unknown said...

What a beautiful finish! Congratulations!

Kati from Kati's Quilting said...

Marcia, it's such a nice effort from you to make this beautiful quilt for charity! I love the pattern AND the quilting on it, it came out really pretty! Hope they'll get a lot of money for it at the raffle! I love this time of the year when we can we can see the new leaves on the trees and the pine needles that grow, I love to touch how soft they are! Thanks for the wonderful pictures I enjoyed every single one of them!

Leslie said...

it is amazing...the first thing that came to mind was leapfrog!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This is a truly stunning quilt. The colours are wonderful and I love your spirally quilting. I like Connie's name suggestion of Evergreen Swirls :)

Sheila said...

This is a Beautiful Quilt!!! I love all the greens. And the quilted swirls. Awesome :D

Paulette said...

Great quilt! I was just musing to myself yesterday about the wonderful verdant greens we have here in Wis. in the spring. So, a quilt name? I dunno, I like your idea, but before I read that, I was thinking Emerald Terraces.

funtalkermitts said...

Marcia the quilt is lovely, why not call this cause quilt Hope Everlasting? In your comments you mentioned new growth, every year our Creator sends us new life to see and in that new life is always HOPE.

KatieQ said...

I think it is wonderful to be able to work on your yearly donation quilt with your mom. It offers such precious time together. I love the embroidered binding. I definitely have to try that.
I think a good name for the quilt is Shades of Spring.

Melissa Corry said...

What if you called it Ever Green but split the two words :) It looks fantastic!!

Shay said...

Gorgeous ! I have that exact same kind of quilting in one of my quilts. It just flows so beautifully.

It was a stroke of genius to embroider the binding. It looks fantastic!

Marcia W. said...

Evergreen Candles
we call those new growth leaves on pine trees and cedar trees "candles"

Lisa in Port Hope said...

On a similar springlike theme, it looks like farmers fields as the crops start to grow, so I thought of Fields of Dreams.

Christine L said...

What about "the Greens of Spring" your own quote ;) Thanks so much for linking up to TGIFF with such a beautiful piece!!

Foolish Feathers said...

"Seeing Green" or "Hope Springs Greenternial" or maybe not, lol. Whatever you name it, it is sincerely lovely. I am "simply Green" with Envy on your stitches! Don't tell me that you did that on a little machine?!

Anonymous said...

Lovely quilt. Green is my favorite color, so this quilt is perfect in every way! I'd probably make it simple and just call it Spring Green. =) I did like the idea of Ever Green, though, in two words, as someone suggested. Or just Hope, because that's what this will bring to someone.

Lynne said...

That is just gorgeous. I think I'd simply call it "Evergreen". (I came in from TGIFF)

Amanda said...

What about EverGreen Forest? I love all the greens!

Shauna said...

Beautiful quilt! 'Renewal' or 'Green Lagoon' both come to mind for names.

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

I do truly enjoy the colors around me. It all amazes me.
Beautiful quilt for a wonderful cause and made in memory of a dear loved one.
I love those soft needles of the evergreen when they open up. No name--I'm not very good at that. :)
gail

Unknown said...

donate money
This is a really good site post, im delighted I came across it.