Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Minutes for Us "Mom and Me" - Making Mug Rugs

This post is going to be light on words and heavy on photos. Mom and I made mug rugs last week, but we got a bit carried away! We used scraps.  I have tons of scraps!  Even after we made all the mug rugs, I still have tons of scraps! 



I took photos while we were making them so you can see the process, but this is not a tutorial.  I just wanted to show you the process with photos. I took photos while I was quilting them and after I quilted them. I managed to get some of the bindings stitched too. I sent Mom home with 10 completed mug rugs. I will stitch the binding on the rest of them at the quilt retreat I am going to next week.  I'll tell you more about that on another post.



We found some bright strips...


Sixteen mug rugs all in a row on the quilting machine.


Trimmed them all










Up close of the daisy on the front and ...
... on the back of the mug rug.
Whenever I quilt little daisies, I also quilt a few little four leaf clovers for good luck!
Up close of one of the dragonflies.  They are so much fun to quilt.
And a larger dragonfly on this one.

This mug rug has several dragonflies!
I stitched our names into the quilting, including the year. It's a fun way to label your quilt.
I had fun trying to match up the colorful cups with the mug rugs.










Mom and I found time to play and make 28 mug rugs!  And believe it or not, we even found time to cook some tuna and chicken casserole recipes from years ago.  I should have taken photos for my Lunch Blog.
Hope you enjoyed seeing our mug rugs.
Don't forget to take time to play!
Marcia
This week I am linking with:

30 comments:

Sara said...

You weren't kidding AT ALL!! I love the dragon fly and the technique you utilized to create them.

You and your mom are a serious team!!

I need to make one of these for my MIL's birthday!

Mhairi said...

Thanks for this post. I have often wondered about writing while quilting - does it matter that it is back to front on one side?
Also do you free hand your dragonflies, if so WOW!!!! They are great, I wish I could afford to send my quilts to you to get done!!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What a beautiful bunch of mug rugs Marcia! With my slow connection I couldn't get all the photos to load but I'll check it out again next week when I am at my daughters....that is so neat that you make them on your long arm!

Unknown said...

Your work is a treat for eyes! The only thing I know about quilting is that I LOVE it. I wish I could make something like this. :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lida said...

So that was quit a production you and your Mam have made! Looks fantastic, greetings
Lida

Barb Neiwert said...

When I started looking at your photos, I immediately wondered how you quilted those on your long arm. Then you included those photos and it made so much sense - great idea! I've tried to find a nice decorative stitch on my regular sewing machine to do with bindings such as you do, but it just doesn't have it. I like yours.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Cute mug rugs. Love the dragonflies in the quilting. My mother used to make tuna casserole. She lost the recipe. I loved that stuff.

Miss Hillbilly said...

Wow! 28? Amazing and they are so so cute!!

Doni said...

OK, just too cute. I love the method of how y'all put them together and quilted them too! WONDERFUL idea, and the colors are awesome! The cute little shapes in the quilting are adorable!!
Great job ladies!
Blessings, Doni

Melissa Corry said...

So fun!! And what a great way to crank out some mug rugs!!! Makes me want to get a long arm (sure my husband would love that train of thought :)

Melissa said...

WOW! Great work! I love the dragonflies!

Belinda said...

How fun is this?!! I have an order for a mug rug and need to get on it. What are the dimensions of yours, if you don't mind my asking? I have a ton of scraps I need to use up.

Cherie said...

Gosh that's an awful lot of mug rugs! They all loo so colourful! =D

Unknown said...

I love the fact that these pretty rugs are from scrap! I love all of the colors...what great gifts they would make in a coffee/tea-themed gift basket! I shared this on my FB page today! Thanks for sharing at the Rock N Share!

Quilter Kathy said...

Wow! Love this post...very inspiring!

Katie said...

that quilting is awesome. great mug rugs

Melissa said...

WOW! That is awesome - I love how you assembly line quilted them - that is ingenious! The quilting is amazing and they are gorgeous - now you just need 28 cups of coffee to go with them :)

Kat said...

Wow, these are BEAUTIFUL!! I love the "assembly line" you set up, what a great way to get so many completed in a short time. I can see these making a great gift as part of a little gift basket... a mug, a rug, some coffee or tea and maybe some chocolates or tea biscuits. I think I know what I'll be giving my kids' teachers for school year-end gifts!

Sue Daurio said...

Wow now how fun was that? It sure was fun to look at all the different ones. Fantastic!

Richard Healey said...

Wonderful set of Mug Rugs thanks for linking up.

http://richardquilts.blogspot.com
http://blog.beccacooks.com

Ginette said...

I love them all! Thanks for sharing all the photos. I got a few good ideas there!

thea said...

Great mug rugs!! They are beautiful!!

M-R Charbonneau said...

Your quilting is so beautiful, Marcia! I love those dragonflies and that you signed the mug rugs. Great idea! Thanks for linking up to TGIFF!

Shay said...

Wow ! I loved seeing all these mug rugs on the quilting machine. Thats the way to get multiples done !

I think my favourite quilting is the circles. Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

I love making mug rugs and have made quite a few. One by one. Never thought to line them up on the batting and quilt assembly line. What a great way to do them!! Next time. Thanks.

Sarah Craig said...

Such pretty mug rugs - and my husband looked over and said, "See, I told you you could quilt a bunch of those at the same time!" Whoop whoop!!

Linda at LRDesignsQuilting said...

Thanks for the pictures! It's fun to quilt little projects on the longarm!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

Love the mug rugs Marcia! I too love using scraps to make wonderful things. My scraps are of course bits and pieces of wood!
gail

Diann said...

I love mug rugs and these are wonderful! I also have a larger one for under the coffee pot that I have had for years. Troy has been wanting me to make some of these and fill them with some of our herbs to sell at the markets. Thank you for sharing with us at TTF and have a terrific day!