Monday, April 16, 2012

Rippling Pond Block -- Bonus Block for Home Sweet Home Along

Update:  This Quilt Block Pattern is now available in a downloadable pattern at Craftsy.com for only $1.00.

Here is the direct link:
http://www.craftsy.com/user/3103603/pattern-store

I had another idea for a block that I think is pretty cool.  It's a pond block.  You can use all your leftover scraps for this block.
Thanks Kim for letting me share my Rippling Pond Block as a bonus block for the Home Sweet Home Quilt Along
Last summer for Project Quilting, I made a table topper that I named Floating Lilies.  
I decided the lilies that I created for that quilt would make a perfect pond block for the Home Sweet Home Quilt Along.  Here's a close up of one of the lily pads.
The light blue background is the water on the Floating Lilies Quilt. On the pond block, I used a dyed green for the land around the pond and then added some trees. 
I used a variety of blue strips - no wider than 1 1/2 inches.  Just use leftover pieces. 
 I started with a small 5 sided shape for the center of my pond.  Size is about 2 inches for each side or even less is fine.
Stitching one strip at a time and going around the shape.  Stitch, press, and rotary trim each strip.







I chose to use the same color for the first four strips of the first round.


Just keep stitching, pressing, and trimming.
When you have your pond almost the size that you would like, trim the strips of that round at an angle like the photo.  I made my pond large to cover most of the block.  You can make your pond large or small.
Then I added a round of a pebble blue and green fabric to represent the shoreline of the pond. I did not trim that pebble fabric, as it is the last row.
Pressed it.
I auditioned the pond on the green dyed fabric to see where I want to cut the 13 inch square block.  I know we want at 12 1/2 inch block, but I want to cut it a little larger and then trim it after I adhere the pond with the iron on Heat 'n Bond Lite. I will apply the pond using the raw edge applique' method.
I had a yard, so I had a couple choices.
Trim a piece of Heat 'n Bond for the back side of the pond.
Then with a scissors trim it smaller than the pond.

I ironed on the Heat 'n Bond Lite to the back side of my pond. I pressed/ironed on the right side of the pond too. Follow the directions on the label of the Heat 'n Bond for applying it to fabric.
Let it cool a few minutes, then you can trim curvy edges on your pond with a scissors or a rotary cutter.  If you use a rotary cutter be very careful.

 Flip it over to make sure there is paper all the way out to the edge. Then you know the adhesive is all the way out to the edge of your pond. Trim more needed. 
Peel off the paper.
Press/Iron the pond to the green background fabric.
I created a few evergreen trees to add along the edge of the pond. Here is the PDF with the evergreen trees and trunks. 
I used a texture green fabric and pressed the Heat 'n Bond on the back side of the fabric. 
Cut it out with the scissors.  I used a brownish texture fabric for the trunk of the trees.  Yes - there is Heat 'n Bond on the back side of the fabric too. 
Cut out the little trees and trunks too.
I pressed/ironed the large tree on the left side of the pond.
and the two little trees on the right side of the pond.

Your Rippling Pond Block is complete!
I am going to a quilt retreat later in the week, where I will work on more of my Home Sweet Home BlocksI will also be working on our green scrappy courthouse round donation quilt. I will share more about the projects I am taking along this week. I plan to post a few photos while at the retreat too.
Enjoy your day!
Marcia

Don’t forget to add your picture to the flickr group once it’s complete - I added mine:  http://www.flickr.com/groups/1850682@N20/


This week I will be linking with:
Quilting by the River: Linky Party Tuesdays
The Shady Porch: Rock'N Share
Right Here at Minutes for Me Linky Party

10 comments:

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Looks beautiful! Thanks for sharing your rippling pond block!

Cyn said...

What a great block! Super idea. Thanks for sharing the "how 2".

Eileen said...

I love it! Very inspiring...thanks for sharing!

Missy Shay said...

What a great tutorial! I can't wait to make it! I'm going to pin this for future reference!

Linda Crosby said...

Beautiful!!!! Can almost hear the rippling of the water and love your choice of colors. Thanks for sharing

MC said...

Very cool block, thanks for the inspiration!

Lisa said...

I am always afraid to make applique blocks. You make it look so easy. You don't even sew around the block, I worry mine would fall off? It is very beautiful, your block. It really looks like a pond!

waggonswest said...

Your block is beautiful. Thank you for sharing the instructions with such great pictures.

Vicki {Quilting Lodge} said...

Very cool block. I did something similar one time and made it a flower.

Vicki @ Quilting Lodge

Carla said...

Wow that's really neat. Thanks for sharing the block and instructions.