At every opportunity, I did NOT what a judge or another quilter would want - I did what made me laugh, what tested my skills, and what would make me proud in the end. It's very liberating to make a quilt that way - and then also a little scary to put it out there in the world when it reveals so much about you!
I sent Marcia several sample rings to test quilt before we tackled the final piece. She worked out several concepts for the ring s, a handful of accent ideas, and multiple options for the background areas. Ultimately, nearly every one of Marcia's ideas were implemented in the final quilting - we used those shifts and changes to complement the piecing's intentional anomalies.
We tried different batting layers too. We selected two layers. The bottom layer, 80/20 batting and poly batting as the top layer.
Marcia and I completed the quilt in June 2014, and I submitted photos for the exhibit. Ultimately, there were enough quilts entered that a second BAQS show was added to the AQS Des Moines show, too.