Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Hodgepodge Patchwork Tuesday --- "Up Cycle" Blue Patchwork Shorts into a Quilt!






I "Up Cycled" a pair of blue patchwork shorts into a quilt!
I used a favorite pair of shorts, but your could use a dress, a shirt, or a favorite fabric.  I cut the plaid at an angle which made it more interesting.  I had to deal with bias edges, but that was OK.  I love how it looks!




Here are the original shorts!




I used a variety of denim shirts and denim dresses for the borders strips.




Step 1
Cut squares in a variety of sizes from the shorts --- 2" to 4 ". I cut 42 squares.


Cut strips in a variety of sizes --- 2 " wide to 3"  
wide.


Step 2 
Sew one strip on one side of each block. Press and trim. You may want to starch as you press. I starch.





Step 3
Sew a second strip on another side of the center square, but not the opposite side. In the photo the top strip is the second strip. Press and trim.


Step 4
Sew a third strip on another side of the center square, but not the opposite side. In the photo the left side of the block is the third strip. Press and trim.


Step 5
Sew a fourth strip on last side of the center square. In the photo, I am sewing the fourth strip onto the block. Press and trim.


Step 6 --- Square up and sew more strips
At this point I have blocks that have four borders with one center square.  I group them into piles of similar sizes --- Large, Medium, and Small.  The large should be about 8".  Cut 8" squares from those blocks.  The medium will be between 7" and 7 1/2" .  Cut 7"  squares from those blocks.  The small blocks will need another strip or two sewed onto them. 



The block on the bottom left is a large block (8" square).  The bottom right is a small block that needed another strip and is (7" Square).  If any of the smaller blocks aren't large enough, sew another strip onto them.  You can sew strips to make them into an 8" square block. 

Step 7 --- Count your blocks 
I started with 42 blocks.  There will be 6 blocks across by 7 blocks down.  Which means you need to have 3 rows of 7" blocks (total of 21 - 7" blocks) and 3 rows of 8" blocks (total of 21 - 8" blocks). 

Step 8 --- Lattice strips (darker fabric - cut 3" wide)
Sew a lattice strip to the top and the left side of every 7" and 8" block.  I will look like an "L" on each block. I chain piece using long strips, as I don't cut my strips to the exact length. They stretch and pull a little. Press and trim.



Step 9 --- Sew the rows
Do not line them up evenly.  I trim an inch or so off the top of one row to make them uneven that way the seams don't line up.




Step 10 --- Add more lattice and trim the ends
You will need to add a lattice strip to the bottom block on each row.  Also add lattice strips to the right side of the last row on the right.  You can put them on each block or just sew strips together in random order and sew it on all in one strip.


Step 11 --- Add Borders
I used more dark strips, but do whatever you think is eye pleasing. I randomly sewed the leftover dark denim strips together and sewed them onto the sides and onto the two ends. On two of the sides I sewed an extra border. Do whatever looks best.

Step 12 --- Quilting and Binding - as desired.
I quilted my quilt with a two color ribbon quilting with whimsical daisy flowers.  I used a washable wool batting to make it a warm and cuddly quilt for this winter. The backing fabric on my quilt is a blue dyed extra wide fabric. I will bind it the same blue dyed fabric.







I am pleased with my "Up Cycled" Quilt! 
I think this would be a great memory quilt using special clothing from a loved one.

Thanks for all the suggestions along the way, as I posted about the process.  

Will I do another one?  YES!

Are you going to make one? ? ? 

Thanks for following along...

Marcia


Visit Marcia Wachuta - Crafty Sewing and Quilting's Craftsy Pattern Store »
Linked with:

23 comments:

Miss Hillbilly said...

I think it looks very cuddly, and the pattern is great!

The Little Red Shop said...

Oh, cute! Blue and plaid are two of my favorite things.

: )

Julie M.

embracingitall said...

What a wonderful way to use up old clothing! Looks lovely. Jacinta

Linda said...

Very nice Marcia and the quilting is just beautiful as always! Can't wait to see the next one :)

Carmen said...

Wow...you really have some great talent for this...someday, someday, I will make a quilt out of my kids baby clothes...someday.

Carmen @ RoCa and Company
www.rocaandcompany.blogspot.com

Christa said...

I love this quilt, and I especially appreciate you posting your whole process into one post so I can refer back to it. I love to upcycle, and I love to quilt, so I'm sure I'll be trying one of these at some point! :)

Lynette said...

This is awesome! Love the quilting on it, too.

Deborah in Atlanta said...

Oh yes, I really like this one. I like the fact that you cut the plaid shorts blocks at an angle - as you said, it definitely makes it more interesting. I also like the fact that you made your blocks different sizes and staggered the layout.

Unknown said...

Hi! What a wonderful quilt. Love the fabric mix.

Tammy at Tammy Loves Dishes said...

Your quilt is beautiful! I actually "saved" a couple of denim shirts after reading your blog. I think there might be a small quilt or table runner in my future so I want to be prepared.

Thanks so much for sharing the step-by-step in your creation of this wonderful quilt!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Definitely deserving a WHOOP WHOOP!!

Jordan McCollum said...

Cool! And I *love* the quilting! I saved several pairs of jeans to make a denim quilt, but I think I finally let go of that goal and got rid of them. Sigh.

Sarah Craig said...

That is a very neat quilt - thanks for posting the tutorial!! And I really like your quilting - I don't think I've ever seen any done quite like that. Whoop whoop!!

KatieQ said...

Your quilt looks fabulous. I love the quilting. Who would have guessed that it had such humble beginnings.

Anonymous said...

Great job! I love the echo quilting! Whoop!

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Love the blue and the plaid and the tutorial!! Super job of quilting, too. Thanks for sharing:)

Dirt Road Quilter said...

What a great quilt! I love the addition of those plaid shorts with the denim! I have a towering pile of old Wranglers that need to be made into a quilt. Now to find a plaid pair of shorts!

Honey at 2805 said...

You did a terrific job in turning this into a beautiful quilt!

Thanks for sharing this lovely post at Potpourri Friday. I appreciate your participation!

Ellen said...

How awesome is this....you have a great talent there, I can barely sew on a button....love these shorts.
Hugs,
Ellen

sstone said...

I've done a couple denim quilts, but they are just straight up patchwork. Maybe I'll try something a little fancier next time.:)
everydaygameplan.net

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi Marcia! That is fantastic quilt! You have made so great work woth all those beautiful blues!
I adore also your other blue quilt which your sweet dogs are sharing!
x Teje

Unknown said...

I love denim and have made somethings using jeans. When I saw your quilt I fell in love. I made my first quilt with a similar pattern as yours for my daughter. Yet she likes green so I used green jeans and some off white ones. I found some green plaid curtains at a thrift store to work into the quilt.

Now three years later since you posted your tutorial and I've got my quilt in the making. Doing it with blues and whites. Hope it comes out as nice as yours.

Unknown said...

Love the quilt so much I just had to make one. All my favorites. Denim,blue and white strips,and plaid. I missed that framing in of the plaid squares though. I don't think anyone will know if I don't tell them. LOL

Pictures to follow still putting it together. Blessings