Friday, August 26, 2011

Scrappy Pot Holders or Hot Pads

You can make these scrappy pot holders by using this simple method of construction. So many of you have said you can't make "random" or "artsy" looking quilts, because it is too hard to figure out where to place the pieces. 


First my suggestion is to start with at least 3 to 5 scrap pieces from any odd quilt blocks.  For example if you use a leftover block from a quilt, you should rotary cut the block into two or three different size pieces.  You will also need some strips of fabric the coordinate with your block colors of various sizes.  I like to have light, medium, and dark fabrics. I had these four pieces of the blocks left over from making the denim shirt quilt

I placed them on the cutting board and added fabric strips of various sizes in between the pieces and at the ends of the pieces. It is like a puzzle --- matching the pieces together.  Placing the lights next to mediums and darks.  Lay them out and step back and look at it.  Does it look eye pleasing?  Move them around or even cut a side off one and move it to the other end.  Again step back and look at it.





I first sew two blocks of similar size together. Then I sewed the two center strips together.  Next sew the long strip onto the two joined blocks. Then sew the 2 sides together and sew more joined strips on the ends. 





I added strips to create a rectangle at least 10 inches by 20 inches, so I could split it in half to make two.  My rectangle was about 23 inches long by 12 inches wide.  I split it in half and trimmed all four sides, so they each measure 10" X 10"square. 




My Mom was in the hospital again. I am needed here at her home. I am posting with the photos I uploaded before leaving my home.  I realized the photos are not real clear on showing you each step.  I think you can get the idea.  I will be making more of these projects in the future.  I love the random and artsy look! 


When I get home (hopefully next week) I will quilt my "Vacation Project" quilt and scrappy hot pads. I will use a heat resistant batting when I quilt the Hot Pads.


Updates on my Mom -- click here.

Enjoy your day!


Marcia



5 comments:

Miss Hillbilly said...

I love the random look too! Very neat!

Snoodles said...

(Mumbling, looks back over shoulder) Oh, Marcia, that was a great idea! (Turns back to scrap bin, pulls out huge ball of scrap fabric) I'm just trying to get started, here. (Bin turns over, Snoodles disappears under mound of fabric scrappiness) I know I have just the right pieces here! LOL
Marcia, thank you for this post; I think I will make some for Christmas gifties!
Praying for your mom, and for you and your family.

Karen said...

These are a great idea for using bits and pieces.
I just had to come over for a visit to see all these wonderful blue quilts. I think it will take me a little while to check them all out!

Kim said...

Hi Marcia! I love the denim! I've been busy cutting up clothes! Is driving Shorty nuts! I am praying for you and your Mom! My Mom is here in Des Moines and we're gonna sew today! Am drooling over the Wantobe prize today! Thank you again for the inspiration!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Sorry to hear about your mother. I hope is all well and you are back home when you read this (can you tell I'm way behind on reading blog posts)?