Sunday, May 15, 2011

Thursday's Thoughts - An Incredible Feeling...

I share my thoughts on Thursdays...I just started "Thursday's Thoughts" this last week....


When I was a little girl, my Mom did all sorts of craft things with us... my brothers and I.  One of my fondest memories of doing a handmade craft, was when we traveled in the summer in our RV visiting family and friends.  While we were riding in the camper, I would make those loop/loom pot holders that everyone made in the 70's .  I would make a set for every family we visited.  I loved making them and I loved that they loved receiving them.  It was an incredible feeling... I had made something with my hands that someone wanted.  


Just recently, I realized that, that is why I sew and quilt.  I like how I feel when I create and give...


When I started my quilting business I knew it just couldn't be a quilting business that sandwiched the quilt layers together, stitched them, and said OK, it's done!  


My quilting had to be special and unique.  I wanted to make quilts with their own style.  I wanted to create unique' designs with the stitching threads on every quilt.  Some quilts just need simple quilting like meandering, but why not add a little twist - a little design element that brings it all together to make the quilt one of kind just for that quilt.  I do plain meandering too, but I love meandering with a twist!  Ribbon quilting (double meandering) really gives an extra flare to the quilting.  I featured ribbon quilting on Monday - Up close with my Quilting. On Wordless Wednesday you can see some of my whimsical flowers.  More in the photo gallery too. 


Another key part of my business, that's important to me, is keeping the price at a reasonable rate.  So I keep my prices in line with what type of quilting the customer chooses.  Of course a more detail stitching costs more.  In eight years of business, I have only raised my prices twice.  Once in the beginning, as I improved my quilting skills and about 2 years ago when gas prices and shipping went up.  


I have a successful quilting business, but most importantly, I love my job.  I not only make me happy, I make others happy.  I enjoy sharing my quilting creations.  Choosing a free style quilting makes every quilt unique.  I create with the customer to make a quilted treasure that they will love!  I truly believe that a quilt is gift from your heart.


Every day I am very thankful that this is my job. I create and quilt for my customers full time - five days a week. I am very pleased and blessed that the quilt tops just keep coming in! There should be a "shout out" right here to all my customers! "Thanks!"  Every morning I get up and I start my day with a dance. Yes, a dance!  I choose a song from You tube and I dance... Just one song, cause I don't like to sweat, before I work. Don't worry I am not going to quit my day job - I can't dance.  But I move and it is my way of stretching, before I quilt! It is a great way to start your day!


When I am quilting, I am giving....   I think that is the best way to describe how I feel when I quilt for my customers, my family, and friends.  It's an incredible feeling...  as I am creating to make their quilt special, a handmade gift from their heart.



This is a video of Swirly Free Style Quilting.  There is no talking, just the machine running. It's only a little over a minute.  As you watch it, try to imagine how I feel when I am quilting....




Still time to enter the drawings this week, where I am giving you prizes....


Teamed up with Dye Candy for a Big Giveaway 6 prizes - 6 winners!


Hodgepodge Patchwork Tuesday - Wind Sock Patchwork Cozy



Thanks for following... feel free to share my post with your friends.


It's an incredible feeling to give... I truly believe that a quilt is gift from your heart.


Celebrate May together!  The May for Me Page!


Enjoying May one day at a time...


Marcia

5 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Lovely sharing thoughts today. I always love to watch quilting, whether by hand or machine - there is such a rythm you can feel.

Sherry said...

I enjoyed reading your thoughts today. I also enjoyed the quilting video, thanks for sharing.

Belinda said...

What a wonderful thought. It seems so peaceful and calming. If I could have a dream come true, it would be to do what you do. (maybe not as a business, just for me) But, God in His wisdom has given me something different to do. :)Thanks for the video, I really enjoyed it!

Chris Daly said...

Beautifully written post Marcia. I'm a huge fan of your quilting!

Maite - vitoma said...

Bonito post.
Bss.