Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Hodgepodge Patchwork Tuesday - Blooms and a Broken Square

I found some Minutes for me to complete a few more quilt blocks.

All the quilt blocks for the My Favorite Block Quilt Along are offered in 6 1/2 inch and 12 1/2 inch blocks. Sometimes I make more than one.  The Bloom Block was a raw edge applique block.  Click here for the instructions.



I selected two yellow fabrics for the petals for one of the blooms.





When I was positioning the petals, before ironing them onto the fabric, I found the point of my scissors worked better than my fingers.



The dark blue petals worked nicely with the yellow center.



Next, I selected a medium blue fabric. This one doesn't contrast very well with the background fabric, but that is OK. 



I love all three of them.



They will look great scattered around throughout the quilt.

Or I could place them all in a row.



Next I made a 12 1/2 inch block.





Cool!  4 more blocks completed.



I got out the pizza box of blocks and placed a few on the table to see how they looked with the other blocks.



I love them all.

One more block to go! The Broken Square Block. That was the last block from the My Favorite Block Quilt Along.  Kim shared the Broken Square Block on Thursday - April 25th. Click here for the instructions. 

I selected one of my favorite fabrics for the center.





I selected the same light color as some of the bloom blocks as it was new to the quilt and that way it would be repeated again.



One of my reasons for doing this quilt along was to create quilt blocks and learn new construction methods or practice old methods.  I like the way they made the flying geese pieces for this quilt.



You can get printable instructions for each block.



This was another fun quilt block to make!



I can see this quilt block as a table topper! Looks great in the center of my table. I would add two or three borders.



I placed the two last blocks side by side.



I placed a few blocks on the table and scattered them around.



Kim from Persimon Dreams is sharing ideas for lattice, borders, and ideas for putting the blocks all together.


My Favorite Block Quilt Along

If you complete your Quilt Top by Saturday, May 25th and you upload your photos to the flicker site you will be entered in a giveaway to win prizes from Fabric and Quilts



and from me - Marcia's Crafty Sewing and Quilting.




Click here for details about the prizes!

Enjoy your day!
Marcia

May for Me Celebration starts on Wednesday May 1st!



3 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Just love all your blue blocks!! I need to get mine laid out this weekend to get into a flimsie.

Mike Pearson said...

I like the block in the lower right side of the picture. He looks like a bird with big eyes :)

Linda said...

Seriously adorable blocks! you make my love for blue grow stronger every time I see this quilt come together lol!