Sunday, January 27, 2013

Do You Remember Gum Wrapper Chains?

I made the chains when I was a little girl.  I seem to remember making them mostly in the car when we were on family vacations.



I started my project with several blue and white fabrics and  a white fabric.  I cut strips from the blues and squares from the white.



Then I cut them into 4 equal parts.



Then I laid them out to create patterns.  This pattern reminded me of the gum wrapper chains and I loved it!




 I lined up my blocks like this.




Stitched them together in long rows.





 Added a border to all four sides and chose a grey quilting thread.


I quilted with a wiggle line along the chain on the blue fabric.



I added wiggle lines to the borders.


The back.











The quilted table topper looks great with my blue and white plates.




And it looks perfect on my dinning room table.




Full view.



I added my Quilted Gum Wrapper Chains to the flicker site for Project Quilting.  Click on the link and you can see all the quilts that took the challenge this week for Project Quilting.

Kim posted about the 53 entry quilts also - click here.

I found a link to an origami blog that has a tutorial on how to make the Bubble Gum Wrapper Chain.

It was another fun challenge! Thanks Kim!
Enjoy your day!
Marcia

Update:  I started with a 3 inch square of white fabric and my strips were 2 inches wide.  That way the squares all end up being the same size.  The finished white center square measures one inch and the finished side strips measure 1 inch and 2 inches.  The block measures 2 inches square.






20 comments:

Barb said...

It does look great, and it does look like those chains....love it!

Terry@ a quilting blog said...

This is just so pretty...love the blue and white!!! I remember making lots of gum wrapper chains as a kid. Thanks for sharing :)

Sam said...

Wonderful quilt. Thanks, you have inspired me to sew with blue fabric, so had a little trip to the local fabric store where there were some pieces with my name on them!!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

it;s very pretty Marcia...I love blue

Mommarock said...

Hi, I totally remember gum wrapper chains. I begged my parents for their gum wrappers, and although we never got candy I think we got fruit stripe gum, I was thrilled because those made COOL additions to my chains. I could only make chains, nothing special, just the long chain. But I made some seriously long chains, and had a good time doing it. LOL. From one Marcia to another.. thanks for the flashback!!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I remember making those chains! What did we do with them?? I just remember making them but now what I did with them. Was this the start to us quilting? Love your blue table runner. So pretty!!

Karen said...

I had not seen this way of creating blocks and layout before. Thank you for making it so clear in your photos.
I love the end result. Your quilt is gorgeous!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I remember gum wrapper chains! This is just lovely.

Carla said...

I love the pattern. Great finish and it looks beautiful on the back also. Thanks for sharing.

gpc said...

I absolutely remember them! I tried to make them a bit ago to show my Grands and couldn't remember how, lol. But your quilt looks just like them, and beautiful!

Alyce @ Blossom Heart Quilts said...

What a gorgeous design!

Dora, the Quilter said...

I love your gum wrapper chain!

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

This is great and goes perfectly with the blue checked plate.

Lesley said...

Love your quilt...wonderful blues!

Needled Mom said...

It is beautiful and it does remind me of the gum wrapper chains. I was just teaching the granddaughters how to make them a few weeks ago.

Mhairi said...

Loved all forms of origami - I still do so this quilt really appeals to me.
Think you should call it Wrigley - although there is probably copyright on that name. Oh well, the quilt is beautiful.

Mhairi said...

Loved all forms of origami - I still do so this quilt really appeals to me.
Think you should call it Wrigley - although there is probably copyright on that name. Oh well, the quilt is beautiful.

Pieces to Love said...

Beautiful!

Belinda said...

That turned out so cool!!!

Livin' Blue Quilter said...

I love the blue and white. Something like this has to go on my to do list which way too long now. Beautiful!!!